Distilled Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gtbaker369

Reaction score
Hi all,
Yes before anyone states, I know thay distilling in the UK without a license is illegal however I just wondered if anyone has every or known anyone who has tasted distilled homebrew stout?
Also I realise that brewing a mash for spirits is different from a homebrew but I just wondered?

From what I gather distilling brew buggers your still. Time needed to clean afterwards etc isn't really worth the effort. I don't, and wouldn't even want to do it myself (nor any other form of unlicenced distilling, not worth it)
You can always get and legally make yourself half strenght spirits that don't require any illegal activities (distilling). Plenty of flavours to choose from, and if like I you like your booze with a mixer it doesn't really matter how strong it is and for me 20% abv is plenty anyway ;)

Can't believe this hasn't been jumped on by the mods.
So I'll tread carefully "freeze concentration” as used by BrewDog and apparently they don't require a distillation licence.

It would be great to chat about this and get rid of all the myths but can't see it happening on this forum. Pity!

Ive heard of people running a porter, ipa's and well anything left over and created some amazing stuff according to them. Making a mash and a wash are actually very similar and easier since you're not dealing with hops and just want a beer at 6-8% to distill. Slight off flavors are ok and you don't have to worry about color, clarity etc

Freeze concentrating is legal, it's not distillation. Distillation is illegal.

Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back