AG #4 Guinness (ish)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonranson

Regular.
Reaction score
It's been over 5 months since my last brew, so this weekend decided to sort out something to do on Saturday. Its going to be a Guinness clone. First off I was going to do the one in GW's book, but then with a bit of surfing found one on a US forum that went on about adding soured beer to the boiler or even into the fermenter after the first week :hmm:

I came up with this:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 38.00 l      
Boil Size: 45.22 l
Bottling Volume: 38.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 74.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.0 EBC)           Grain         1        64.0 %        
1.90 kg               Barley, Flaked (3.0 EBC)                 Grain         2        24.3 %        
0.80 kg               Roasted Barley (1200.0 EBC)              Grain         3        10.2 %        
0.11 kg               Acid Malt (5.9 EBC)                      Grain         4        1.4 %         
85.00 g               Goldings, East Kent [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop           5        29.1 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004)     Yeast         7        -             
2.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        6        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.81 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 20.37 l of water at 73.1 C          65.6 C        90 min

Its going to be a brew of firsts... First large brew (aiming for 38 litres)... First use of a liquid yeast and starter... First batch sparge (seeing if this works any easier that my very slow fly-sparging).

My order went in with Rob on Sunday, so should be able to start the starter tomorrow.

Roll on Saturday :)
Simon

Hope it goes well Simon. Just one word of warning mine has gone off like a rocket. It deformed the lid and pushed it off the FV. I have had to change the lid so leave plenty of head room :D

Crikey. I'll clear the decks for this one then :) I'll be using a couple of screwtop fermenters. I hope they'll contain all that yeast.

Good news that your one has taken off nicely :)

Thats the starter on. It didnt quite go to plan as it was very lively when I opened the little bottle of yeast. I hope I haven't lost too much of it :pray:

What's left of the yeast is now in with 2 pints of water with some DME...

Simon

Thanks Wendy. I'll be crossing my fingers for the rest of the week hoping that the starter takes okay... I'm still still cleaning the stuff off the kitchen walls.

simonranson said:
It didnt quite go to plan as it was very lively when I opened the little bottle of yeast. I hope I haven't lost too much of it :pray:

Thats EXACTLY what my WLP004 did :hmm: . I opened mine over the FV though as I pitch direct and don't make starters with Whitelabs Yeast's. Did you get yours from Rob (The Malt Miller). :hmm:

At a guess i'd say that I lost about half the little bottle when it opened. I didnt expect it to be under quite so much pressure.

Yep, it was delivered from the Malt Miller today... i think they are both from lively batch

Simon

Right. All ready for this one tomorrow :)

I stepped up the yeast starter last night. I'd started with 600ml and now it's up to 2 litres and turning into a yeast monster! I'm going to ferment two lots of 19 litres to give a bit more head room after what snail said ;)

Im going to do the Graham Wheeler Guinness clone on monday. I cant decide wether tto bottle it or put in a corny....If i keg it, would i need a creamer in my beer tap?? Only ones i can find are for mixed gas only. Secondly, if i bottle how much priming sugar should i put in??? Any ideas or past experiences?

I was up early(ish) to brew my Guinness clone. All done and cleaned up in 7 hours, with a 90 minute mash and 60 minute boil.

Starter before it was stepped up to 2 litres...
0ae226e1388144368dafc0ae68c58d59

Grain all weighed out...
5376c5fbcf1c40a9bfd3162b8687f1c2

Underletting the mash tun...
e9e443267ee54c2f809263accb495684

90g of Goldings and some water treatment...
2b08afc2925049168b1a1594fa3bc40e

First runnings. It's, err, bloody dark...
6fc6e12c0ae948c882cfe23fef370094

In the boiler and hops added...
d22988ca25ff4e2a9cdc43145fa26b11

Cooling down. Warm water running out through pump to clean it out. That makes a great pressure washer for cleaning up too :)
d971351c46d645809869e731640e60f6

Its still dark!
35d98a74f662488686d9a049cc51924d

I was spot-on my 38litres. Yeast all pitched, and its already bubbling away nicely...
051eaab9e1714664b792788d2ac95199

Thanks snail... How's your's coming along?

This yeast is amazing. Its the first time I've used a liquid yeast and it's remarkable... it only been pitched about 3 or 4 hours and its bubbling like a good'n. It could get a bit noisy with two fermenters in the kitchen :)

As far as i know it's going OK. Pressure on the lid has dropped so fermentation has slowed or could even have stopped. I dont like to open the lid too often so dont check. I leave my brews in the bucket for 14 days then check gravity if its close to the predicted FG then I bottle or Corni them. This is due for bottling next Sunday. I like Witelabs Yeasts and they normaly get off quite well but this one was on another level :lol: :lol:

Ive just got a stout tap off ebay, so will bung most of this into cornies... with a few bottles to give away. I may take a drive out on Monday to see if I can find some beer gas anywhere...

mln810 said:
Im going to do the Graham Wheeler Guinness clone on monday. I cant decide wether tto bottle it or put in a corny....If i keg it, would i need a creamer in my beer tap?? Only ones i can find are for mixed gas only. Secondly, if i bottle how much priming sugar should i put in??? Any ideas or past experiences?

Good luck with this. Let us know how you get on. I'm going to put most of this into cornies, but will bottle some. Im not too sure about the priming sugar either. I'll probably go for slightly less than a bitter and then pour it from a height to knock out most of the CO2!

I've just won a stout tap off ebay, so will give this a go with a little bit of CO2 and see how it goes...

simonranson said:
mln810 said:

Good luck with this. Let us know how you get on. I'm going to put most of this into cornies, but will bottle some. Im not too sure about the priming sugar either. I'll probably go for slightly less than a bitter and then pour it from a height to knock out most of the CO2!

I've just won a stout tap off ebay, so will give this a go with a little bit of CO2 and see how it goes...

Cheers simon i will let you know how it goes. With regards to priming sugar thats what i was thinking, maybe less than half a teaspoon per bottle ?

mln810 said:
Cheers simon i will let you know how it goes. With regards to priming sugar thats what i was thinking, maybe less than half a teaspoon per bottle ?

How did the brewday go?

I've just done a bit of digging on the internet, and come across this site http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php which says you want between 1.6 and 2 volumes of CO2 for Irish Stout... which is more than a bitter :wha:

Anyway, plugging the numbers into their calculator and it says ~3g of priming sugar per litre. Not sure what that is in teaspoons.

Simon

Hi simon, its in the boiler as i type, gone ok so far! I think a teaspoon is 5g, so its around a half...i may be wrong tho.
Strange...i thought it would need a fair bit less carbonating than a bitter....good find tho :thumb:

Just taken a sample of this after a week in the FV. Its down to 1012 and tastes delicious. I'm very pleased with it already, and hope it'll get better as it matures.

There's still a little bit of activity from the bubbler, so will leave it another week in there.

:drink:

Simon

Back