Enhanced Recepie Advice Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have found an enhanced Cooper's recepie I'd like to try, but need some advice please.

The recepie is based a on Coopers Draught kit tin, with 800g LME, 300g gluc or dext, 50g cracked crystal malt and 25g Saaz hop pellets.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify for me:
Saaz hop pellets....are these the type that Brew sell in the vac packs?? If not what is the difference and how would I adjust the recepie for type of hops that Brew sell?
The recepie calls for boiling the grains in a litre of water....would it be of use/easier to use a muslin bag to do this?

Finally, I'd like to upgrade the yeast and would be grateful if someone is able to suggest the most appropriate for the style.

Thanks in advance.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify for me:
Saaz hop pellets....are these the type that Brew sell in the vac packs??
No the hops Greg sells are leaf hops, pellets are ground up whole hops, that are then pressed into a pellet!

If not what is the difference and how would I adjust the recepie for type of hops that Brew sell?
Using more whole hops is required than pellets to get the same results! as utilization can be improved from 10-25% with pellets over whole hops

The recepie calls for boiling the grains in a litre of water....would it be of use/easier to use a muslin bag to do this?
That would be fine!! you could even use a muslin bag for the hops to save time removing them from the wort!!!!

Finally, I'd like to upgrade the yeast and would be grateful if someone is able to suggest the most appropriate for the style.
I guess its the coopers draught bitter your on about and the crystal malt will darken it up tad, I would prob use Safale S-04 you can't really go wrong with

What DME are you going to use (Dark, Light etc???) and where did you get the recipe from??

dandan.....that is perfect, thank you.

It is the Coopers Draught Bitter.
I got the recepie from here http://www.geocities.com/lesjudith/Cust ... opers.html
There are quite a number of them for a wide variety of styles.

The recepie calls for dried light malt extract.

I take it from what you say about the hops, that using the type from Brew I would just add 20% more to the boil?

Thanks again for your help :cool:

My error - the Coopers Draught is an Australian style beer.....not the bitter (although on some websites it says - "This style is sometimes better described as a draught bitter".)

I'm confused now as to what will be the best yeast for this brew.
Is my thinking towards Safale US-05 okay??

Latest posts

Back