Storing uncrushed grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So it's looking inevitable that I'll be buying a grain mill soon, was planning on doing it early next year but my current efficiency problems mean I'll probably bring it forward. Anyway, how should I be storing uncrushed grains after opening the bag? I was thinking about buying a dustbin and putting them in there, after resealing the bags they came in using a bag clip. Would that be sufficient or do I need to keep them somewhere more air tight?

Well I don't buy quite in 25KG yet but in 10Kg bags.. after I measured out what I use I tie up the bag tight and just put them in a box which goes in my man cave office

So pretty much what you do but yes it works enough for me

I just use zip lock bags and put em in a big tuppaware box. If you really want to keep grain air tight, buy some of those vacuum clothes bags where you can attach the vacuum cleaner hose to suck all the air out. I sometimes use these if I think I'm going to need to store crushed grain for several weeks

Hi,I bought a 25kg bag of Minch pale ale malt for experimental research as it was cheap and store it in 20 litre drums which are food grade and cost £4.95 at an agricultural supply.Great as these are stackable.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I just roll up the top of the bag and squeeze the air out before fastening with a couple of clips. Then I just keep it like that in my living room where it's warm and dry. Whole grain doesn't go stale like crushed does.

I put my grain in vacuum bags and store in Mango Chutney drums that you can get from Indian restaurants, just give them a clean out.

I store my base malt in an Ikea Knodd bin. The 40L version will just about hold 20KG of grain. I wish it were slightly larger and I could put a while 25kg sack in it. Speciality grain stays in sealed bags in a cupboard.

ex mango chutney barrels are just the right size to get a 25kg bag of malt in, They do require a good wash and a good few weeks airing to de-whiff prior to use tho..

Well I'm not that familiar with brewing ingredients yet, but when making cereal (crushing oats, roasting them and adding some cane sugar/honey/dried fruits they go stale REAL fast (I suspected the dried fruits).

So I cool them down slowly and put them in 3 liter vacuum jars. I found those for 2.99 each in January (they were 20 euro at christmas). They however sell larger ones.

They hold the cereal perfectly crisp and fresh for a solid 3 months, if stored in the dark. I believe vacuuming shredded grains would do the same.

The 7 liter ones are way overpriced and rather bulky though.

I'm not sure if anyone tried making vacuum bags? To keep the grain together just put them in a little ziplock bag with a couple of holes in them, before putting them in the seal pouch. The cheap, large sealers are often sold quite cheap over here (~40 euro).

A small note; obviously it really depends on how long you are planning to store them. The longer, the trickier it gets.

Latest posts

Back