Experience with Mangrove Jack M03?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
I thought I'd give this yeast a try because I do like the simplicity of using dry yeast and I wanted something different from the usual S04/windsor/notty.

It's now 3 days since pitching and still not a single bubble. Has anyone any experience with this yeast?

I randomly bought it with my usual grain order once then used it in a bitter. I dont remember it not bubbling/throwing a krausen /long lag time though. Did you note the date on the packet? As MJ have now replaced/changed the name from Newcastle Dark Ale to Empire Ale so you may have old stock/yeast?

Previous to me actually using it I did a bit of research around it. I found out that it only had a medium attenuation of about 65% so I used 10% golden syrup. My final attenuation was 71%. I remember it was also quite flocculant too.

I've found a lot of the MJ yeasts to be quite sluggish to get started. The last one I used which I think was west coast didn't show any activity for 3 days but then went like the clappers.

Thanks for the replies gents. It took around 3 and a half days before this showed any signs of life, the longest lag I've ever seen. I didn't notice the date on the packet, nor did I know it had changed its name, so it could well have been an old pack. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and I'll try another of their yeasts in the future.

I had heard the attenuation was pretty low so I mashed a bit lower to try to balance it but I don't mind if it finishes a little sweet, I think it suits the style (coffee stout).

Back