Hello from Upstate NY

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernardsmit

Reaction score
Hi - I'm an ex-pat from Scotland now living for many moons in Upstate New York. Just found your forum.
Don't do very much brewing of beer but I do enjoy making - and drinking - dry meads - Just bottled a t'ej and have in my secondaries session (about 6% ABV) versions of a juniper berry mead, an acerglyn (maple syrup), and a chocolate mead, while in my primary (pitched Monday night) I have an acacia honey and chestnut mead. I prefer to make small batches - (4 L/1 US gallon) and am planning to start a metheglin using orange blossom honey, with heather, coriander and cardamon to highlight the flavors produced by a saison yeast.
Always very happy to learn from everyone - and to share what I have learned from others..

Hi - I'm an ex-pat from Scotland now living for many moons in Upstate New York. Just found your forum.
Don't do very much brewing of beer but I do enjoy making - and drinking - dry meads - Just bottled a t'ej and have in my secondaries session (about 6% ABV) versions of a juniper berry mead, an acerglyn (maple syrup), and a chocolate mead, while in my primary (pitched Monday night) I have an acacia honey and chestnut mead. I prefer to make small batches - (4 L/1 US gallon) and am planning to start a metheglin using orange blossom honey, with heather, coriander and cardamon to highlight the flavors produced by a saison yeast.
Always very happy to learn from everyone - and to share what I have learned from others..

Hi welcome NY. I am hoping to get enough Indian wild bee honey next Jan to make a gallon of mead, these bees are only a touch bigger than an house fly, they produce the best honey you have ever tasted , its sublime. I managed to get 1 kilo this year, but have put it in jars to eat. I have scouts out with the indian gypsy honey collectors for next year, i am hoping to get a couple of kilos to make a one off sweet mead , thats never been made before.I have a I gal demi john of Thai wild bee honey Mead aging at the minute. It made and extra pint so i bottled that to bottle age. Your Acacia and Chestnut sounds good. :thumb: Ps i Have a mead aging made from the honey at Chain Bridge honey farm near Dunbar .

Forum map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2290525#

rrrrrrr.jpg

Welcome Bernard, I've never tried making Mead, but I like the taste and your recipes sound really interesting....you might have stirred a hidden passion within......hmmmm..! Could be dangerous at my age :-?:!:

welcome to the forum
there are a lot of helpful members on here if you need any help that is

Welcome Bernard, I've never tried making Mead, but I like the taste and your recipes sound really interesting....you might have stirred a hidden passion within......hmmmm..! Could be dangerous at my age :-?:!:

It's only dangerous if you are too young ... or too old and you are too old only if you aim for meads with very high alcohol content and you belong to the school of "hands off" mead mead making (you then have to wait years for the mead to finish fermenting and for all the fusels to dissipate and for any off flavors to be metabolized. Modern mead making can take just as long as brewing and you can be enjoying your session mead 6 - 8 weeks after pitching the yeast.

Hey,
Ex pat from England now living on Skye with friends in upstate NY (Katonah) !
Welcome to a warm,friendly and informative forum.

It's only dangerous if you are too young ... or too old and you are too old only if you aim for meads with very high alcohol content and you belong to the school of "hands off" mead mead making (you then have to wait years for the mead to finish fermenting and for all the fusels to dissipate and for any off flavors to be metabolized. Modern mead making can take just as long as brewing and you can be enjoying your session mead 6 - 8 weeks after pitching the yeast.

You've convinced me to have a go.! Maybe not this summer - I've already got grains for my summer brews - perhaps autumn or next spring :thumb:

Beautiful part of the world - I've got family south of Albany.

It is truly gorgeous in the autumn when all the leaves turn all colors and my town is very small (28,000). When the Grateful Dead performed here (and they did) the population doubled.. You can leave your house and car unlocked and someone told me the other day that we had a 75% reduction in violent crime this past year. One less incident...

It is truly gorgeous in the autumn when all the leaves turn all colours ................

........... , fall off, choke up the drains, cover the lawn, stick to your shoes, get trodden into the house and slowly rot away over the next three months! :doh:

"Gorgeous" is definitely not the word I use for leaves ... :nono: :nono:

... especially as the trees they come from aren't even in MY garden! :doh:

Maybe time to move to the "Grumpy Old Men" section? :whistle:

Latest posts

Back