Ginger wine recipe wanted + plus making wine with grapes!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shearclass

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all

Struggling to find my way through these wine sub-forums, am sure this information is about somewhere but search results aren't bringing up anything useful.

Out of mild interest, can anyone point me towards a guide to making normal white wine, i.e. with grapes? Is making wine with grapes more difficult than making wine with other fruit?

Also, is there a recipe for ginger wine anywhere on here? I've looked and only found (hundreds) of posts about ginger beer. I want to get one going ASAP in time for christmas.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

I have been looking into a ginger wine/mead recipie to make Spicy Ginger Mead this weekend and I have found this for a wine.....

Code:
White grape juice (15.6g sugar/100ml) 2 litres
Apple juice (11g) 500ml
Mashed banana flesh (1 large banana)
Fresh root ginger 150g
Mixed spice (optional)
Sugar 900g
Pectic enzyme
Bentonite
Yeast nutrient
Yeast.

From Pete at petespintpot.co.uk. Think I will drop the Apple Juice and Banana Flesh, up the ginger root to ~200g, swap out the sugar for honey and put in a Cinnamon Stick, some ground ginger, a pinch of Nutmeg and a Clove or two in for my mead.

If you give this a try give some feed back as to how it turns out :)

Marrsy

I have used a ginger beer recipe for ginger wine and its fine.
Once fermentation is finished its cloudy like ginger beer but it will drop perfectly clear given time. I left mine in a 5ltr water bottle untill the sediment dropped then bottled.

Agree with dropping the bananas too :sick: try sultanas instead for more body.

I think I might just tweak the Fiery Ginger Beer into a 1 gallon Mead variant in all honesty as I have the Original fermenting right now in hope its ready for christmas so wouldent mind to compaire the original with a mead variant.

You could maybe play around with that to make a Wine Variant ?

Im a noobie too :p

From what I can tell Mead is a general term given to "Wine" that uses Honey instead of sugar. The name changed if you add fruit/spice/grains to the mix but as im a noobie I havent got around to memorising them all yet so refer to it all as mead.

The yeast converts the Honey into alcohol and adds a sweeter taste too the drink. I'm not much of a fan of normal wine but my friend gave me some Mead they brewed and I put a 1 gallon DJ brew on of my own the same day!

Planning a few different types of mead as soon as I have free DJ :) Cant wait to smash my Chocolate Mead and Coconut Mead experiments!

Back