Harviestoun Original 80/-

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
This brew is from M Ollossons Real Ales for the Home Brewer

OG 1.041, FG 1.009, IBU 24, ABV 4.1, 23ltr brew length, 74% efficiency.

The mash, 3.54kg Maris Otter, 370g Crystal, 50g Black Malt, Mash at 66 deg c for 90 mins
The boil 90 mins, 54g Fuggles (AA 3.72%, 27% extract ), 200g Brown sugar after 45 mins, whrilfloc tablet after 80 mins.
Yeast, US-05.

I changed the recipe a bit from the original, mash up to 66 deg c from 65, and I added some black malt to darken the colour.

Brew on :party: , 30 mins of mash to go :thumb:
The gear, the mash, lost mash.

CIMG2166300x225.jpg
CIMG2167300x225.jpg
CIMG2170300x225.jpg

Doesn't that 23ltr batch mash look lost in the 80ltr tun :lol:
Great temp control as always :cool: , first runnings, good rolling boil.

CIMG2171300x225.jpg
CIMG2173300x225.jpg
CIMG2181300x225.jpg

Transferring to fv, insufficient hops to cover screen :lol:, break material under screen :sick:

CIMG2183300x225.jpg
CIMG2192300x225.jpg
CIMG2193300x225.jpg

I'm bricking it falafael!! I have only done two kits and one modified kit. Next stop AG all by myself!!! :shock: Now it's built it's worse! Oh well you only have one chance @ life, jump in both feet first!!
Vossy that mash looks seriously lost!

AG's a doddle guys :cool:
I just like to use a HERMS which makes it look more complicated than it is :lol:
Well 30 mins to go now and I think I'm going to have to liquor the batch back as the boil is pretty fierce, even with just one 2.75kw element on.
Need to go and butcher a fv lid to fit a chiller into the fv :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
Well 30 mins to go now and I think I'm going to have to liquor the batch back as the boil is pretty fierce, even with just one 2.75kw element on.

I've just got one of these
for this very situation. For my new boiler, I'll still mainly be doing 5g batches and I know that a full 3kW is too much when we're up to boil.

I've got a Phase angle controller for controlling the power of my new boiler . . . but a Burst Fire controller is a better option, as you don't need the RFI filters . . .. which can cost as much as the Phase Angle Controller :roll:

I've got a Phase angle controller for controlling the power of my new boiler . . . but a Burst Fire controller is a better option, as you don't need the RFI filters . . .. which can cost as much as the Phase Angle Controller
I've got a Phase angle controller for controlling the power of my new boiler . . . but a Burst Fire controller is a better option, as you don't need the RFI filters . . .. which can cost as much as the Phase Angle Controller :roll:
I had a PAC, but it died after first use :cry:, might look into other options, but first route will be to swap one of the 2.75kw elements for a 2.4kw and see how that does :hmm:
How has it gone V?
All went uneventfully apart from the boil vigour, collected 20ltrs and had to add water to take it back up to 23ltrs :roll:
Fermenting nicely now, another brew in the pot :party:
This marks the start of more regular, smaller, brew days, want to experiment a bit and do a fair few DP recipes in the next few weeks :cool:

Latest posts

Back