AG#2 - IMPERIAL STOUT

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well with everyone having brew days today, im thinking about having my own (if mrs siv allows me)
Thanks TUBBYSHAW for the recipe.

Radiant King (Anagram) Imperial Stout.
Brew length 23ltr
OG 1.090
ABV 8.6
IBU about 50

5kg Pale malt
500grms Black malt
250grms Crystal malt
250grms Chocolate malt
250grms Flaked barley (on the advice from Aleman)
100grms Fuggles 4% aa
1 x Youngs 1.5kg bitter kit
2 x packs of SO4
002-1.jpg

Still not managed to get my MASH TUN sorted out :oops: . So will be using the BIAB method again.

All the grains mixed and ready to go into the bag.
003-1.jpg

In the bag. Just waiting now for Mrs Siv to get back so i can start
004-2.jpg

davesiv said:
Well with everyone having brew days today, im thinking about having my own (if mrs siv allows me)
Thanks TUBBYSHAW for the recipe.

Radiant King (Anagram) Imperial Stout.
Brew length 23ltr
OG 1.090
ABV 8.6
IBU about 50

5kg Pale malt
500grms Black malt
250grms Crystal malt
250grms Chocolate malt
250grms Flaked barley (on the advice from Aleman)
100grms Fuggles 4% aa
1 x Youngs 1.5kg bitter kit
2 x packs of SO4
002-1.jpg

Still not managed to get my MASH TUN sorted out :oops: . So will be using the BIAB method again.

All the grains mixed and ready to go into the bag.
003-1.jpg

In the bag. Just waiting now for Mrs Siv to get back so i can start
004-2.jpg

That bag doesnt look very fine, in fact I bet that youre getting excess protein into the kettle with a bag that coarse?? Do you get chill haze/clarity problems??

If so id say that your bag is the culprit!! We use a material known over here as Swiss Voile material, its basically a super fine curtain material made out of polyester! Id advise to get something as close as this as possible!

Reviled said:
That bag doesnt look very fine, in fact I bet that youre getting excess protein into the kettle with a bag that coarse?? Do you get chill haze/clarity problems??

If so id say that your bag is the culprit!! We use a material known over here as Swiss Voile material, its basically a super fine curtain material made out of polyester! Id advise to get something as close as this as possible!

I did get a slight clarity problem with my first brew. but i put that down to my inexperiance. Thank for the tip ill look into getting another bag.
Would muslin be any good?

Update time. -
Missed my target OG of 1.090 ended up with a OG of 1.084. but i put that down to having to water back by 1.1/4ltr to get my target of 23ltrs.
Pitched the two packets of S04 when the temperature was bang on 20 degrees and placed the FV in a black plastic bin bag. I got a feeling that this one is going to fement like crazy.
SORRY NO PICTURES BU I CANT FIND MY BLOODY CAMERA!!!!!!

davesiv said:
If all goes to plan and i reach my target FG of 1.020 ill be drinking stout with a ABV of 8.5 by next christmas :cheers:

:cheers: Nice on DS! Now the wait is on!!!! (its only about 500 days to wait :eek: )

After 5 days it downd to 1.030.
This S04 yeast dosnt mess around, the foamy fluffy stuff only lasted for 3 days. the airlock is still bubbling away tho.
Will give it another 4 days in the FV then trasfer it to the keg.

update time

the FG as been stuck at 1.026 now for two days, dont think its going to drop any more. So tomorrow im going to keg it. What amount of sugar should i put in the keg?

cheers DS

Don't add any sugar at this stage, if the yeast has stalled it won't ferment the sugar. If it hasn't stalled it will "slowly" ferment the more complex sugars and bring it to condition.

At last after 11 days in the FV the FG is know down to 1.022, :clap: will give it tii saturday and then keg it. Its the first time ive ever had a stalled fementation. Thanks for the advise yet again TS your a diamond. :thumb:

well ive just had a bottle of edme stout which in my opinion is the best stout ive ever tried, well that was untill i pulled a pint of the imperial my the keg. i know its still a bit young (well 11 months young) but its got a very nice choc taste. now this is one i would recomend to any AG brewer to try, you wont be disapointed.

Sounds great DS. :thumb:
How much do you think you will have left by next Xmas? ;)
I think I will put it on my brew list. I like a stout now and again.
Just need to get my mash tun made :whistle:

Back