EKG v Goldings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Peeps
Whats the difference between EKG and Goldings.
Im wanting to put on a brew tomorrow and basically all I have is 200g of EKG in the freezer. Im thinking about doing it as a single hop beer. Will I get away with using EKG instead of goldings in a recipe. I cant seem to find many recipes with EKG

EK just means they're Goldings grown in East Kent. Goldings can be grown elsewhere. Not sure on flavour difference but I don't think it would be completely off the wall to substitute even if they did taste a bit different, I mean it's the same variety isn't it?

Found this on the www

A classic finishing hop. Ideal for English Ales. Does real well when used as the sole hop. A traditional old English hop, known as E. Kent Goldings if grown in East Kent, just Kent if Mid-Kent, and just Goldings if grown elsewhere. A gentle Fragrant, spicy and mild aroma and flavor, which is described as candy-spicy-floral and sometimes earthy, rounded and mildly pungent.

In that case Im going to fire up the boiler tomorrow and do this I think.

Golden Bawl-Ox
24L est OG 4.1 23.5 IBU

3.8KG MO
.75 KG Wheat malt
40 Gm EKG 90 mins
20gms EKG 15 mins.

Yeast to be decied

All destined for Bottles. ( I have circa 200 empties and Mme Le Frisp is getting the right ump) and first of my Chrimbo brews

Hi... :cheers:
How did your all Golding Brew end up
I've got loads of them....
I have tried an all Golding brew before; i find it needs an addition of a hop that will give it a punchy bitterness.
May be i will just use more in the kettle.

You've convinced me :thumb:
As the sun is shinning i am going to fire up the kettle tomorrow... :pray:
Golding here i come :party:
I will post the brew tomorrow.. :grin:

EK just means they're Goldings grown in East Kent. Goldings can be grown elsewhere. Not sure on flavour difference but I don't think it would be completely off the wall to substitute even if they did taste a bit different, I mean it's the same variety isn't it?
Not really sure about that, would you say Fuggles are the same as Styrian golding....I wouldn't.
I guess it depends on soil types and history IMO FWIW

Vossy1 said:
Not really sure about that, would you say Fuggles are the same as Styrian golding....I wouldn't.
I guess it depends on soil types and history IMO FWIW
Do you mean the same in terms of flavour or genetically?

Genetically: Nothing I've found seems to suggest that the EK bit is anything other than a designation of origin. And Charles Faram says of the Styrian Golding "this variety is the same as the English Fuggle."

Flavour: I was posing the question on substitution, not giving a definitive answer. Perhaps I'd tie it down a little and say UK Goldings... but even if it tasted different I don't think it would be off the style charts if you see what I mean?

Latest posts

Back