Grain for sweet malt taste but without colour?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morethanworts

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi. Probably a simple one for more experienced grain brewers...

I'm trying to get close to a fairly rare 8% Belgian tripel I tried on Wednesday. I already have Pilsner in for the base, but there there was also a very different malty taste to it, nothing like many tripels I've had before. The aroma was almost wort-like in its sweet maltiness (though the taste was much better than that!). I've got some harvested yeast on the stir plate.

What grain (and roughly how much as a % of grist) could I try, to add maltiness but without adding much colour? Reading through lists... Caramalt? Light Crystal?

Thanks both. :thumb:

Any tips for how much to add to a 23L batch, where the base is Pilsner and the sugar addition forms about 12% (I still want it to attenuate pretty well, just with some residual malt sweetness)?

Sorry not experienced with Belgian beers. Caravienna is just a light crystal so an English light crystal should be fine I reckon. I think around 5%. Munich malt and aromatic malt are also both used in Tripels from I have seen. They would also add some maltiness. Check out some recipes, loads online. I am not the person to advise but I would have a go at 85% pilsner malt, 10% sugar and 5 % Light Crystal, or 80% Pilsner, 10% sugar, 10 % Munich. I think they would be along the right lines, based on what I have read.

Latest posts

Back