Hunters dry cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eduardo

Reaction score
I'm usually a beer brewer, but my missus is South African and this is her favourite cider from back home. Of course you can't get it over here, but she wants me to try something similar.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something super dry, but still a tad sweet?

Where do I start? What yeast? What temp do I ferment? Etc?

Cheers :)

supermarket apple juice, wine yeast. it will ferment to about 5-6%, super dry.

you can then add sweetener if you want, or stabilize it and add sugar (but no carbonation possible.)

cider is easy!

I'd use champagne yeast maybe, seems a lot of folks on here say that makes a hyper-dry cider. I use Lalvin all-purpose wine yeast and its pretty tangy and dry with a slight sweet edge. 3 litres AJ and 1 litre pomegranate drink is my fave turbo cider. Good luck :cheers:

Thanks for the advice guys.

At the risk of sounding a bit daft, do I just prime it with sugar to carbonate when ready for bottling like I would a beer?

I would also add I tsp per gallon of grape tannin powder this will give you 'bite'. Personally I would also add 1 tsp per gallon of malic acid if you are using carton grape juice, it will improve the flavour and will give teh carton apple juice a flavour profile similar to that of cider apples. It can be rather insipid if you don't add tannin and malic acid. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back