Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question
IPA been in the Pressure Barrell for a few weeks now, will be in a few more yet.
I'm tempted to take it camping with me in a few weeks, question is will this make the beer cloudy again mixing all the sediment up during transportation?
Thx
In my experience the yeast that comes with this kit does not settle very well.
Therefore if you move your barrel about it is likely that the yeast will get disturbed and cloud your beer. The less there is in the barrel the worse it will be (sloshing effect). It will certainly need a few days to properly settle out again properly.
My suggestion is, if its clear, its ready to drink and so get stuck in. Time will not improve this beer, in fact the opposite since the impact of the massive dry hop diminishes with time.

Thanks, not sure what a hydro tube is where will I get one, any brew shop?

wilkos mate. beer section

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/50ml-Plastic-Scale-Hydrometer-Test-Jar-Tube-Bar-Homebrew-Beer-Wine-Making-/262504437980?nav=SEARCH

itl look like this but wilkos are cheaper by a quid or so

wilkos mate. beer section

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/50ml-Plastic-Scale-Hydrometer-Test-Jar-Tube-Bar-Homebrew-Beer-Wine-Making-/262504437980?nav=SEARCH

itl look like this but wilkos are cheaper by a quid or so
That's what I was using.

Well guys, I tried my first test bottle last night after about 10 days in the bottle, to say I was unimpressed would be an understatement. it was very bitter, and under carbed. I will let it stay in the warm for another week to see if the carb problems sort themselves out. think I made a boob with the hops, in that i added them to boiling water to make a tea, then added it and the hops to the FV. think I may have added them to the water when to hot and ended up bittering my beer! :(

Well guys, I tried my first test bottle last night after about 10 days in the bottle, to say I was unimpressed would be an understatement. it was very bitter, and under carbed. I will let it stay in the warm for another week to see if the carb problems sort themselves out. think I made a boob with the hops, in that i added them to boiling water to make a tea, then added it and the hops to the FV. think I may have added them to the water when to hot and ended up bittering my beer! :(
This beer is very hoppy compared to most, especially if you used all of the hops.
If you only made a hop tea and didn't boil your hops you are unlikely to have extracted much bitterness from the hops.
In short, this is how it comes.
As for the low carbing, if you used all of the priming sugar supplied (about 130g if I remember correctly) and it all dissolved it and was distributed evenly it should have carbed up nicely.....unless you have kept it somewhere cool. I would leave it another week as you have said in a warm place and you will probably find it is OK. Plus you may find it has mellowed as well.

not sure why there's a trend with not adding the hops as the instructions say. there's another thread on this kit where the hops weren't even added?!
just a tad baffled by it all, its one of the best kit instructions I've come across

Well been in the bottles a week or so. I've been in France working and drinking Grimbergen Blonde mainly, it's one of my favourite beers.
Got home tonight and cracked the top off the first bottle, worried that a week of one of my favourite beers may dampen the flavour of my Ipa.
Had it worked? Would it be OK? Would it take ok or like a soggy sock?.....
Absolutely gorgeous I really can't believe how nice it is, I'd drink this anywhere and pay for it, it's that good. Just my kind of flavour.
Really I am happy I popped on this forum while sitting dreaming of beer while working in Saudi.
Thanks for the help and questions you answered, only question now is another batch of this or something different?

DSC_1735.jpg

you could like me try the festival razorback. Myn's still in the primary. its slightly less hops but still a popular IPA kit

had one last night. my Mrs has told me Im not 'myself' after I've had one. good job she was out.
to be fair I know they fade but it still is a lovely pint. I think the four weeks in primary helped develop a more consistent flavour, where although less hoppy (3months in bottle) it was still a pleasant taste.
I've heard some say they had to throw there's away due to hop fade leaving a vile taste. id question the time they allowed for the yeasties to complete the job. cos I can already see this being perfectly drinkable in another months time

Been in the PV since the 5th August now at around 22 degrees.
Should I put it somewhere cooler now for a while and if so what temp?
Would it effect the beer in anyway now or the csrbonation if I took a tester pint?

Been in the PV since the 5th August now at around 22 degrees.
Should I put it somewhere cooler now for a while and if so what temp?
Would it effect the beer in anyway now or the csrbonation if I took a tester pint?

hi mate.
that's a great time to let Ur beer ferment.
I wouldn't do a test pint. its unnecessary .
have you dry hopped?

Yes its dry hopped and fermented
I mean its been conditioning in the pressure barrel since the 5th August at 22 degrees.
So wondered if I should put it somewhere cooler now to clear?

Yes its dry hopped and fermented
I mean its been conditioning in the pressure barrel since the 5th August at 22 degrees.
So wondered if I should put it somewhere cooler now to clear?
Have you tried it? Is it clear? It should be carbonated. If so, its ready to drink in my experience of this beer. If its not yet clear put it in the coolest place you have since it will help it to clear plus it benefits from being served cool say around 10*C.

No not tried it yet.
Thats what I was asking.
Will it effect the carbonation in anyway if I draw a pint from it now, or does it keep the pressure fine in the barrel

No not tried it yet.
Thats what I was asking.
Will it effect the carbonation in anyway if I draw a pint from it now, or does it keep the pressure fine in the barrel
The carbonation will reduce as you draw off the beer. However the drop in pressure after you have drawn a pint is hardly noticeable. When there is not enough pressure to dispense you then either regas using CO2 (bulb or cylinder) or reprime. However AIPA beers benefit from high carbonation so you may want to keep the carbonation up if you have CO2.
I suggest you try your beer. You have got to be the most patient homebrewer on this forum if you have not sampled some from a PB after a month :thumb:.
And if you have no pressure it will most probably be because your barrel/cap/seals are leaking. Hope they're not.

This was the first kit I made and have just started drinking a few bottles. As it was my fist kit, I made a few mistakes! Firstly, the kit arrived with the LME package leaking slightly, there was a tiny hole in the bag and some of the extract had crystallized over the hole. As I was super keen to get started I brewed it anyway!

The fermentation got underway really quickly and was finished after about 6 days. So I dry hopped on day 7 and bottled on day 9. I propably should have waited, but like I said.... my first kit!

The bottling didn't go well. I tried to transfer into a bottling bin using a spigot and syphon hose. The hose didn't form a good seal around the spigot so a lot of air got into the beer. It was also a very hot day, so a little bit of sweat dripped in there too!

I drank the first bottle after about 5 days conditioning at room temp, and then 48 hours in the fridge. The beer was really hoppy, the best way I could define the flavours is that they were sharp with a bitterness that hit after swallowing. After a few more days conditioning and another 48 hours in the fridge the beer has mellowed somewhat and is much more rounded. It's still a very hoppy beer, but beginning to take on a less severe character.

I would recommend this to any hop heads out there, it's just about at the limit of bitterness for me. My girlfriend hates it!

I am about to start this brew after reading great reviews on here, my question is that instead of bottling the total amount could I store some in easy kegs(mini kegs)?

This was the first kit I made and have just started drinking a few bottles. As it was my fist kit, I made a few mistakes! Firstly, the kit arrived with the LME package leaking slightly, there was a tiny hole in the bag and some of the extract had crystallized over the hole. As I was super keen to get started I brewed it anyway!

The fermentation got underway really quickly and was finished after about 6 days. So I dry hopped on day 7 and bottled on day 9. I propably should have waited, but like I said.... my first kit!

The bottling didn't go well. I tried to transfer into a bottling bin using a spigot and syphon hose. The hose didn't form a good seal around the spigot so a lot of air got into the beer. It was also a very hot day, so a little bit of sweat dripped in there too!

I drank the first bottle after about 5 days conditioning at room temp, and then 48 hours in the fridge. The beer was really hoppy, the best way I could define the flavours is that they were sharp with a bitterness that hit after swallowing. After a few more days conditioning and another 48 hours in the fridge the beer has mellowed somewhat and is much more rounded. It's still a very hoppy beer, but beginning to take on a less severe character.

I would recommend this to any hop heads out there, it's just about at the limit of bitterness for me. My girlfriend hates it!
I am guessing it will be a totally diferent beer in a month or two, make sure you save some so you can taste what it should taste like when it is properly matured.

Back