Fortunate Islands.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
I thought I'd share this one as it's so good. The missus and I were in our local Brewdog bar and she ordered it, loved it, and asked if I could make something similar. The can had a lot of info on it and a quick google brought up the rest.

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

It's an American Wheat beer hopped to the style of an IPA. Its crisp and clean in the body with that Amarillo/Citra combo leaping out of the glass at you! This brew is also very quick to get ready, I went from brewday to drinking it in about three and a half weeks, its got summer BBQ written all over it.
I somehow managed to (fluke) get it pretty much bang on - at least to my palatte - first attempt, I will be making this many more times so I will play with the hop schedule, but its damn good as it is. It's got 45 IBU but it doesn't taste like it has so much, I'm not sure what is balancing it out, maybe the wheat...

Batch size - 23l.
OG - 1.048
FG - 1.009
ABV - 5%
SRM - 4.2
IBU - 45
Efficiency - 81%

Grain;
2.5 kg Wheat malt,
1.5 kg American 2 row,
300g Caravienna.

Hops;
10g Amarillo (8.6%) @ 60 mins,
10g Citra (11.1%) @ 60 mins,
20g Amarillo @ 12 mins,
20g Citra @ 12 mins,
20g Amarillo @ 3 mins,
20g Citra @ 3 mins,

40g Amarillo + 40g Citra Dryhop.

Mash @ 68 for 60 mins.

Yeast - 1l starter of WLP001 @ 20*

It tastes like wizards.

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Put the quantities into a brewing calculator and increase the malt quantities until you get to the same OG estimate (maintaining the same relative percentages of each grain)

So at 70% you would want roughly
3kg Wheat
1.8kg Pale
350g Caravienne

In Brewmate you can set the OG and your efficiency, add the grains you want and the % of each, and it tells you the weights required.

That looks really good.

This will probably mark me down as a miserable old git, but I'm really put off by all this faux casual conversational marketing rubbish that gets attached to some craft beers!

"You're probably thinking this is just a run of the mill beer...but you'd be wrong, blah blah" No mate, I'm thinking the bloke who wrote this is a t.... :lol:

That looks really good.

This will probably mark me down as a miserable old git, but I'm really put off by all this faux casual conversational marketing rubbish that gets attached to some craft beers!

"You're probably thinking this is just a run of the mill beer...but you'd be wrong, blah blah" No mate, I'm thinking the bloke who wrote this is a t.... :lol:

:lol:
'....insipid macro beer analogue' ????? WTF does that even mean!

I do like 'it tastes like wizards' though, they should just have that in big bold letters instead of all that other pseudo beer waffle

Modern Times do some great beers, really like their coffee stout. If you go on their website, they have links to all of their complete recipes on BeerSmith. Really refreshing approach.

Just had a look at their recipes - surprised by the use of hop extract during the boil, but fresh hop additions when the boil is finished?

I've been on the Modern Times website quite a bit whilst researching this brew and never noticed the links to beer smith before!
Yes, got to say I'm quite surprised too MM, I have heard a few breweries are going this way though. It might be a consistency thing?

Yes not unusual I think. It helps to achieve consistent bitterness. Which we struggle to get from dried hops of varying age. If you boil hops for 60 mins or more just to get alpha acids, why not just add an extract to provide those acids in a reliable form? The same could apply to aroma oils I guess, if a wider range was available, but a brewery would no doubt face criticism for using no actual hops.

Not sure if I agree with myself here, but why would quality be reduced by using extracts?

Not sure the end quality would be reduced. What surprised me was the use of an extract in a craft beer, which seems to me to be the 'Tom and Barbara' of the brewing world, rather than the 'Margot and Jerry'.

Latest posts

Back