Salvage my all-grain brew !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADenton

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently purchased some kit and grain to start making my own beer from grain.

I've not had much luck and I think I know the answer to this but thought I'd ask anyway, just in case my latest batch can be rescued:

1. I never got any surface activity (froth etc.) after pitching the yeast, even after a week in the fermenting vessel. I actually misread the thermometer and pitched when it was way too hot, and then tried to compensate by pitching the next day when it has cooled to room temperature.

The OG was 10.05 and the FG after a week in the vessel was the same...

Is there anything I can do? Is it worth bottling...?

Peter

What are you making?
What yeast?
What volumes?
What temperature was used?
What was the Og? 1.050?
Was the fv sealed?
Did you aerate?

Sorry, I'm not clear what question your asking. Are you asking why your getting a krausen.

Also you've misread your hydrometer 10.05 isnt a reading. Do you mean 1.005, which actually is also a misread as thats would be a possible FG not OG

1.005 is lower than any finishing gravity I have ever achieved. You sure that is really your original gravity? If it is, then you are trying to brew water.

Normally I would imagine more likely 1.050, and if so, a second pitching would normally work. The fact it hasn't leaves me a bit stumped for more advice.

What are you making?
What yeast?
What volumes?
What temperature was used?
What was the Og? 1.050?
Was the fv sealed?
Did you aerate?

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I used a sachet of ale yeast on a post boiled volume of 15 litres.
It was originally at 70 Celsius before sparging and then boiled and cooled (only to 60 alas as I made a mistake)
1.005 was original gravity
Fermenting vessel sealed with lid
Aerate? I'm not sure - I stirred in the yeast

1.005 is lower than any finishing gravity I have ever achieved. You sure that is really your original gravity? If it is, then you are trying to brew water.

Normally I would imagine more likely 1.050, and if so, a second pitching would normally work. The fact it hasn't leaves me a bit stumped for more advice.

I may have misread it then

Sorry, I'm not clear what question your asking. Are you asking why your getting a krausen.

Also you've misread your hydrometer 10.05 isnt a reading. Do you mean 1.005, which actually is also a misread as thats would be a possible FG not OG

Sorry, what's a krausen?

I'm wondering if I can save my batch as the hydrometer readings are the same FG as they were OG and there was never any frothing after pitching the yeast, even after a week

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I used a sachet of ale yeast on a post boiled volume of 15 litres.
It was originally at 70 Celsius before sparging and then boiled and cooled (only to 60 alas as I made a mistake)
1.005 was original gravity
Fermenting vessel sealed with lid
Aerate? I'm not sure - I stirred in the yeast

Am I reading this right? you cooled to 60C then pitched the yeast at 60C?

Sorry, what's a krausen?

"A head of foamy krausen will form on top of the beer. The foam consists of yeast and wort proteins and is a light creamy color, with islands of green-brown gunk that collect and tend to adhere to the sides of the fermentor. The gunk is composed of extraneous wort protein, hop resins, and dead yeast"

From how to brew by John Palmer

Latest posts

Back