Make marmite from yeast slush

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 days in the making. That's a pretty involved process. I have new found respect for the marmite makers.

Not sure I fancy a job as official marmite evaporation watcher.

I've subscribed to it to save it so I can have a go when I am a few more brews in to my homebrew adventure and have a better idea of my own processes.

best chance of success would be to add the hop bittering / hop tea into the bottling bucket then the fv yeast will not be so bitter.

You could add the flavouring hops in the bottling bucket but I'm not so sure about the bittering hops. I think you'd still need to add them at the start of the boil. As I dont think the bittering compounds (Alpha Acids) isomerise in water

I think the yeast is washable -- whatever bitter there is in the slush, it's going to be soluble.

First step, yeast slush collected, added water. Put in an airlock in case it's still active. Three or four washes before the experiment...

IMG_2483.jpg

That lad!

This peaks my interests

Cheers! I'll report progress / screw ups here.

First "wash", yeast sunk. Drained liquid from top the usual capillary way. Topped up with water. Rinse repeat about 4-5 times over next days...

I'm really curious, but I'm a bit worried that marmite needs a specific yeast strain and that the hop might indeed stay present (might also work out well if you like the hop bit). Watch out for a pink purple-ish powder. If that starts on your bottle or yeast culture, toss it. Giberella has a taste for yeast, it won’t kill you but it might feel a bit like having a spicy curry overdose.

Also if you decide to try it, eat just a little at first. The sulfite content might be a tad high.

We'll see how it progresses. From what I understand Marmite have positioned their one and only factory in the midlands in Burton to be in close proximity to beer brewers. It seems that they use all and any yeast slushes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...-reporter-loathes-stuff-astonished-there.html

"Marmite, which was invented by a German scientist called Justus von Liebig in the late 19th century, has been produced in Burton since 1902. The town’s beer heritage is important: the basic ingredient of the spread is yeast sludge, a waste product left over from brewing beer, and there were once 30 breweries in the surrounding area. Now, the raw materials come from across the UK."

* There's a few more clues for the recipe in that Daily Mail article -- some modifications to the Ms. Marmite Lover in New Zealand, who seems to be the only blogger who put a recipe on line -- but the basic gist is the same: slow evaporation and later add vegetable extract.

Back