Water treatment kit-and help what it's all about??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all
Memory evade me I'm afraid...
Don't know anything about water treatment n the kits..even researching made me info overload!!
I've gone on the local water supplier site..but it's foreign to me!
Any help what it means and the kit I need and how to use it?
There's an in depth report aswell...if yous need it?

Any help would be great
Atb
Bri

If you want to test your water yourself, first you need a salifert alkalinity test kit to test the alkalinity of your water. Once you know what your alkalinity is you need to either increase or decrease your alkalinity depending on what beer style you want to make. I normally need to decrease my alkalinty so I use Brupaks CRS (AMS) which is a mixture of acids, to strip out the excess alkalintiy

Here's how to use the salifert test kit

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water_salifert.htm

If you want to test your water yourself, first you need a salifert alkalinity test kit to test the alkalinity of your water. Once you know what your alkalinity is you need to either increase or decrease your alkalinity depending on what beer style you want to make. I normally need to decrease my alkalinty so I use Brupaks CRS (AMS) which is a mixture of acids, to strip out the excess alkalintiy

Here's how to use the salifert test kit

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water_salifert.htm

Thx pal,
I'll get there slowly lol me n my tiny brain might suss it about!! Lol
I'll go on the link and work it out!
Thx again
Atb
Bri

I've got the Salifert kit but, TBH, it's just as easy to use pH papers to test your mash and then gradually add small amounts of CRS/AMS to lower the pH. In fact, with the brew I did last week I didn't even need to add any CRS/AMS, I found that adding a teaspoon of Gypsum to the mash lowered it enough to hit the magic 5.4.

I'm sure there's much more to it than that, but the above works for me.

I've got the Salifert kit but, TBH, it's just as easy to use pH papers to test your mash and then gradually add small amounts of CRS/AMS to lower the pH. In fact, with the brew I did last week I didn't even need to add any CRS/AMS, I found that adding a teaspoon of Gypsum to the mash lowered it enough to hit the magic 5.4.

I'm sure there's much more to it than that, but the above works for me.

Hello m8,
Where could I buy the ph test paper and the CRS/AMS? Is it in the salifert kit??
I'm just not good at this type o thing!! Mind not good for anything just lately!! Went to pick my daughter in rush hour..and a crash need diverted...n my crapNav took me the outer rings of Saturn..and I dropped a £1 coin under the car at the Tyne tunnel...yes you guessed it!! I'm disabled and can't get at it!!
N all the people getting p off!!
Ohhhh well!! Teach me not to register my mobility card in time!! :doh:
Looked at the YouTube last nite for how to test the water..but didn't get to get how get the reading...and how to adjust it...medication kicked in...
Atb
Bri

Back