Carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel1

Reaction score
Morning All.

I bottled my brew around 2 weeks ago it's a youngs RIA kit. It's been in warm place for that time so I decided to stick one in fridge last night as a tester. Once chilled I cracked open the bottle and it only had a little fizz and went flat.
Do you think I've got anything to worry about or does it just need more time?

hello Samuel,
as long as you primed the bottles...and theres yeast to much on, theres a suggested 2 weeks period.
the best method i found is using pep bottles (or a tester a few!)..warm place..
watch you pep bottle, squish it a little ova the two weeks....if it not 'hard' on the bottle could suggest the its not ready.
i have glass bottles, i test one a week one...see how it goes...and week two.
you said two weeks...what was the temp? what was your priming method? what size bottles?
sorry im not the best person to help..due to my coms probs with writing etc.
it may be suggested that you may need to add small amount of yeast again the continue the process...
but therll be a guru to help you with the best suggestions, as ive not experience it.
good luck m8...might be worth getting the bottles temp up and shake them and see what happens...time is the best thing and patients lol

Thanks for the reply brian!
I have glass bottles which are 500ml and I placed half a teaspoon in each bottle then filled and capped. I've done one of these kits before and everything was fine the only difference this time is that I used an heatmatt but didn't have it plugged into an inkbird so i think the temperature got to high so I don't know if this has effected it.
I have just put a fresh brew on yesterday using my heatmatt and I purchased an inkbird from Amazon and set the temperature to 20°C and it's looking really well this morning

20170324_141240.jpg

20170324_141249.jpg

Yeahh! You got a good setup...
Like the temp probe setup..nice one.
It's always going to be a problem if the temp in a brew area fluctuates..one of the HB'er nitemare tbh!!
Great you've got the start for heat control (inkbird) now you need to get the cooling sorted!!
There's loads of threads on the forum about cooling baths etc..tbh the simple way is always the best sometimes til you tinker with it.
For me and loads of people was getting the temp control for a satisfying brew.
Funny nuff at the mo I'm onto the MkII fermintation chamber....looks fuggly but effective so far with heat mat...frozen bottles and controlled via a inkbird...
I've got a tall and small fridge with the heating/cooling controls with inkbird for 2 batches of lager...hence the makeshift ferm chamber for my Doppelbock.
The 3 DJ's are in the man cave, and the temp is 20c and at nite drops to 18c
Mind the weather seems to get hotter so I'll have to put them into a MkII that I'm building...of to wickes for insulation :-)
Tbh the natural progression is going to temp control...
Bri

@Samuel1
If you have flat beer, and definitely primed each bottle, then you have not had the bottles in a warm enough place.
Even almost clear beer should carb up properly after 2 weeks if stored at fermenting temperatures .

Sorry to hijack OP's thread, but what is the lowest and highest recommended temperature for bottle conditioning to get good carbonising?

A couple of brews ago I had a beer that if I had a cold one it was fairly flat with no head, but if it was room temp had a good head which it retained while drinking and plenty of fizz. At first I thought I hadnt primed properly but tested it by every time I had one I would either bring it in the day before or have it from the garage which was cooler. Every bottle was like it. It couldnt have been that they hadnt carbed up properly becaus there is no way they could have carbed up that much in 12-24 hours that they were inside.

Latest posts

Back