Altbier Homebrew v Commercial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
I came across a Düsseldorf Altbier from Orbit Brewing in SE London at the shop today so decided to do a side by side with my home brew version. You can see the visual below. The clarity and head retention are very similar, the commercial is a slightly lighter colour. In the aroma theirs is a little sweeter and mine has a slight harshness that almost smells burnt. I did have a very scorched element after this brew so it probably is from that. It's not objectionable and I've only noticed it when doing this comparison. The mouthfeel and carbonation are very similar. Flavour-wise I found a very similar outcome to the aroma. I think mine probably has more hop bitterness to go along with that little bit of character from the scorching.

Overall I'm very happy with my brew next to a commercial example. I'd love to do this with a genuine German brewed example but they aren't super easy to come by.

This is a really fun and useful exercise to do and I shall try to do it with other brews too.
015b8583648a6b04a59b61d88f2b3630.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. What was your recipe?

2kg Munich
2kg Vienna
0.3kg Crystal 60L

50g Hallertauer @ 60min
20g Hallertauer and 65g Saaz @ 5min

Irish Moss @ 10min

K97 - dry German Ale yeast

I was planning to use Crystal 40 and when brewing it I discovered I didn't have any. Reran Beersmith and was fine with the calculated colour. It was very cold and my boil off was massive so I ended up adding back 4 litres of water to hit volume and gravity, I guess this may also have contributed to a slightly darker colour.

Definitely looks the part.Is it ok to pinch your recipe and try sometime?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Of course, it's hardly revolutionary! It's an interesting style, just a nice 'plain' sessionable beer for my less hoppy moments

Latest posts

Back