Hobgoblin clone AG#3

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well as I have embraced the dark side I thought it rude as the wife is working until 9pm I would slip a quick brewday in.
The recipe is
20 Ltrs at 68% efficiency aimimng for 1.052 5.02%
4.35 K MO
180 g Crystal malt
160 g Flaked barley
160 G Torrefied Wheat
40 g Chocolate malt

Fuggles 70 Mins 28.56 IBU
Bobek 15 mins 5.7 IBU
Bobek 1 min 0.4 IBU

And its not going smoothly somehow I measured 40G of chocolate into the grain bill. it should only be 30.
Having decided to change the tap on my mash tun to something more controllable I STUPIDLY used the backnut from the first tap. Did a leak test and all was well. 10 Ltrs at 80C into the tun, gave it a stir, thermomoter said 78. Brought it up to 12.5 ltrs with cold and warm water to reach strike temp of 74C. doughed in, took a reading bang on 66 - this day could not go better.......
wrapped her up in her duvet........... Woosh the feckin backnut on the tun gave way....... wort running down the front of the kitchen units...... luckily the hose from my FB held the tap in place long enough for me to get it drained and shovel the mash into a bucket.
Sorted backnut in a hurry threw it all back together. Temp still only 60C - threw in 4 L at 75 C and by sheer luck I hit 65C.
wrapped it back up and so far all is well..... only lost about half a ltr... Ok it was more a heavy dribble than a woosh.... but it felt like a woosh I can assure you
Thank fek Madame Le Frisp is off accruing L'argent. what she doesnt see wont hurt her..... She will think Im sweet for washing the kitchen floor..... Every cloud and all that :lol:

Mind you If I grass myself up I could use this disaster to convince her that an 80L thermobox would be a step in the right direction :hmm:

This will be my last available fermenter.
I have 19L of TC under construction. which I will decant and add glycerin tomorrow. I aim to start another 19L off on the sediment.
25 Ltr of super KEnny coming to the end of its ferment. which I aim to decant and clear
Im putting hobgoblin into the last free bin.
Looks like I need another fermenter...... or two.. :cool:

Well
Considering the early disaster and my brewing assistant and I managing to deal with half a cornie of Bluebird during the day. this one turned out quite good.
ended up with 20L at 1055 72% efficiency. Did the calcs and added 3.5l of water to bring it in at 1047 which should give me 4.5%.
the Wort was incredibly clear.
But sadly chaps no pics on this one.

Hmmmm really must not get ****** when brewing.... found the yeast still in its packet beside the microwave.... The wort was safley tucked up in its fermenter nicley sealed so Im hopeing that no nasties got in. I have just pitched the yeast :whistle:

Frisp said:
Hmmmm really must not get ****** when brewing.... found the yeast still in its packet beside the microwave.... The wort was safley tucked up in its fermenter nicley sealed so Im hopeing that no nasties got in. I have just pitched the yeast :whistle:
:lol: :lol:
I've done that
You should be grand but don't make a habit of it, eh!

:grin: Its always a relief when they 'get going' nice one Frisp :thumb:

Update
This one is still bubbling occasionally. just opened her up to drop the hydromoter in and the smell is outstanding, I wanted to dive in there and then. I cant wait until next weekend when I shall keg her up.
Honestly the aroma is so fresh it makes Super Kenny smell positivley harsh and I know that Kenny is a good pint.
Its sat at 1012 at the moment which is good as beersmith predicted 1014 This is now a 5% ale :D

AAAAAAARGH
Just bottled 4 Ltr into PET bottles which will leave 20L to Keg at the weekend.
and she has a very slight TCP aftertaste. I used ASDA cheap bottled water for this brew and I did put a Cmpden tablet in the HLT . Im confused?
I say TCP aftertaste its not unpleasant but its there, its just that little bit of disinfectant at the end. The rest of the mouthfull is fine. Its slightly malty and a really nice mouthfeel could bobek give such a hint in the aftertaste

I can't see it being the water F :hmm:
What temperature did you ferment it at, and do you use chlorines based sanitisers?
If so was the equipment properly rinsed?

That does sound like it may be a sanitiser not rinsed enough issue to me too :( easily done :cry:

I use Soda Crystals to deal with the muck I rinse using a hose with a showerhead, lots, and lots of rinsingand I use Idophor to sanitise. As fro rinsing on this one after the soda soak, I think it had a good rinse but thereagain IO was the best part ****** by that point on theis brewday.
She has been fermented at around 18C.
Im still going to drink it, its not a total loss
Wil dry hopping with something robust help mask it a bit?

I had something like that in a beer a few months ago but i would have described it like a hit of petrol in the after taste and it totally disappeared after a couple of weeks. I never had it before or since :wha: Maybe yours will disappear in a few weeks :pray:

what I wanna know is how do you guys know what petrol tastes like? :shock:

have times been hard in the past? :lol:

Back