Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a clone of the Wherry beginning of December 2012.....It was good after 4 weeks....but now........ heaven.... :party: :party:

The woodfordes kit I made before going all grain was good but this brew....stands way above it

ryanshelton said:
just had my first taste of my bottled wherry. Bottled 8 days ago, tastes very yeasty and very gassy. Not cleared and no head......everything id expect from tasting a beer thats only been bottled 8 days!

Hope it improves over the next few weeks, really dont want to wait to long :D

But you must my dear!

I barreled two wherry and a Ruby kits before i went away for 9 weeks and i got back this week and tried them and they are simply awesome and probably the best beer ive made so far. but-

Its not the making, its the patience that makes a good beer. To be pub quality needs at least 4 weeks conditioning and the longer the better the problem i have is they wont last very long........

piddledribble said:
I brewed a clone of the Wherry beginning of December 2012.....It was good after 4 weeks....but now........ heaven.... :party: :party:

The woodfordes kit I made before going all grain was good but this brew....stands way above it

Could you post the recipe please? :pray:

Kinleycat said:
Five weeks in conditioning and its just starting to clear a bit. :roll:

Mine was the same last week at the five weeks conditioning mark. I'm going to sample another tonight one week later, I must say though out of the few brews I've done so far this one has needed the most conditioning. It was also the one I had the most hopes for, but so far although it's not bad it's still not as good as my coopers IPA or stout.

warnie said:
Kinleycat said:
Five weeks in conditioning and its just starting to clear a bit. :roll:

Mine was the same last week at the five weeks conditioning mark. I'm going to sample another tonight one week later, I must say though out of the few brews I've done so far this one has needed the most conditioning. It was also the one I had the most hopes for, but so far although it's not bad it's still not as good as my coopers IPA or stout.
Completely agree. :thumb:

Mines bottled and in the warm for less than a week, so i dont like the sound of 5 weeks and still cloudy :( Im going to have to more patient with this one it seems.

Tried one tonight and its still not clear, despite now being 4 wks in the cold. Taste thank god is slightly better so that's a good sign. I'll still brew it again as its still not a bad pint at all, and now I've got a decent stock I can leave it for a lot longer.

I've nearly finished my wherry and it is excellent. Every thing went according to the instructions and can't wait to try another Woodfords brew.
Welshman :cheers:

Bottled this on the 5th February so about 7 weeks ago.
Had a couple of bottles after two weeks conditioning and was far from impressed.
Cracked one open tonight and WOW what a difference.
It's still not 100% clear but it's a beautiful colour and the creamy head hugs the glass all the way down.
This really is very good, much better than anything else I've brewed on both smell, flavour and feel. I'm deffo a convert but by golly does it take some time to develop!!!

Kinleycat said:
Had a couple of bottles after two weeks conditioning and was far from impressed.
It's still not 100% clear but it's a beautiful colour and the creamy head hugs the glass all the way down.
This really is very good, much better than anything else I've brewed on both smell, flavour and feel. I'm deffo a convert but by golly does it take some time to develop!!!

Aha!! I was wondering, I kegged mine about 7-10 days ago, tried a little bit tonight and it was rank, I know it takes a couple of weeks to clear but I was thinking it was vinegar. I think I'm just going to hide it for a few more weeks and hope its ready for my 40th in May...

Brewbob said:
Kinleycat said:

Aha!! I was wondering, I kegged mine about 7-10 days ago, tried a little bit tonight and it was rank, I know it takes a couple of weeks to clear but I was thinking it was vinegar. I think I'm just going to hide it for a few more weeks and hope its ready for my 40th in May...
My wherry is in the warm for a week,[ bottled 1 week ago] and i tried one to see how its doing. Its cloudy, but certainly not rank. I even quite enjoyed it.

It definately needs at least 4 weeks cold conditioning and ideally 8 i would say.

But if you can leave it 2 months your reward will be well worth it

warnie said:
Tried one tonight and its still not clear, despite now being 4 wks in the cold. Taste thank god is slightly better so that's a good sign. I'll still brew it again as its still not a bad pint at all, and now I've got a decent stock I can leave it for a lot longer.

Had 2 last night and also checked the date it was bottled. It appears it was bottled on the 12/2 so in fact it's just over 5 weeks not 6!

Anyway this is now clearing up nicely and tasted so much better last night, so much that now I can understand what all the fuss is about! I found it too sweet but that seems to be mellowing out now.

It's amazing how much this homebrew changes in just a couple of days :)

Nearly finished the keg now.noted it was barrelled on the 21st February and was officially ready on the 7th March. Have been steadily drawing on the barrel daily noting how the brew constantly seems to change in character. It's been good and clear since my first taste, and although I had a some decent froth, that's waned a little as the pressure in the barrel has dropped. I am just above the tap (on a king keg bottom tap) and am wondering if it's worth investing in a gas cylinder to give what beer is left in the keg a. It of extra fizz? And recommendations would be welcomed.
All in all very pleased with this, my very first beer kit. I have a headcracker kit to do next.

Hi all,

I have only been brewing since Xmas, and the wife (realising it is saving me money and hangovers, and giving me a hobby) bought me a Wilko's keg for my birthday.

I had a Wherry kit just coming to time in the FV, so I sanatised my new barrel, put the WW in and 80g of suger. It has been in my en-suite cupboard at a constant 18 degrees for a week.

Been reading that I should now shift it to somewhere cold.

The problem is I have the "beer cupboard" at 18 degrees, or the garage at about 2 degrees. We have 2 small kids that mean the rest of the house is at 18+.

Should I leave it kegged for 8 weeks in teh cupboard, or shift it out to the garage, where I hate to say it is at the mercy of the East Midlands weather, which is snow at the minute?

Cheers

GJB said:
Hi all,

I have only been brewing since Xmas, and the wife (realising it is saving me money and hangovers, and giving me a hobby) bought me a Wilko's keg for my birthday.

I had a Wherry kit just coming to time in the FV, so I sanatised my new barrel, put the WW in and 80g of suger. It has been in my en-suite cupboard at a constant 18 degrees for a week.

Been reading that I should now shift it to somewhere cold.

The problem is I have the "beer cupboard" at 18 degrees, or the garage at about 2 degrees. We have 2 small kids that mean the rest of the house is at 18+.

Should I leave it kegged for 8 weeks in teh cupboard, or shift it out to the garage, where I hate to say it is at the mercy of the East Midlands weather, which is snow at the minute?

Cheers

I would leave it at least another week, 3 if you can stand the wait, then get it into the garage. As long as it doesn't freeze, which it shouldn't do now, you should be alright and the low temps will help get the CO2 into the brew

You could stick it in the garage, well wrapped in a sleeping bag or duvet, and set it on a piece of wood, not the concrete floor. :thumb:

Back