CO2 Tanks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
Currently having a discussion with an american home brewer on a Facebook homebrew site and the question is,CO2 tanks for homebrew are they lined inside to stop contamination? He said not in the USA and I agree with him that industrial or domestic CO2 is CO2 but I'm sure here in the UK that our homebrew tanks are lined and not lined for industrial use,thoughts or in the knower's?

From what I understand 'food grade' C02 is a gimmick, its the same stuff as industrial however its passed of by local council as being fit for consumption, the food grade bottles have also to be cleaned and sterilized before been refilled, how on earth bacteria is going to find its way in to a co2 bottle god knows. I was told this by the guy I buy my c02 from.

I have seen this discussed many times before and like pawlo says CO2 is just CO2 and fire extinguishers, welding cylinders, paintball cylinders and food grade cylinders all come from the same bulk CO2 whatever it comes in. As for the cylinders bacteria isn't a problem as none can survive in pure CO2 under massive pressure, the food grade cylinders may be designed cleaned or lined to ensure theres no dust or other small particulates or may be just the same as the others, sorry can't say with any certainty but likely makes no difference.

I too was told the same by the BOC rep i phoned for a quote, co2 is co2 and its all the same until it comes to the branding.

afaik the only difference between co2 bottles is the colour of paint used on the outside.

as it happens its been easier to buy and use dispense co2 from Aire-liquide till now.. if i didnt have this option i wouldnt have any qualms using welding co2 for example..

Latest posts

Back