Regulator from the Malt Miller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunnol

Reaction score
So I ordered a regulator from ebay, turns out its the same one the Malt Miller sells. I'm completely new to any sort of gas/regulator use etc.

I tried to hook it up last night and ended up having my picnic tap blow off and water fly out all over the wall. Think I had it turned up to full :lol:

Does anybody have one of these? It seems like it might be more for welding as the psi is done in very smal increments of 10 so not the handiest for setting to a specific number.

At this point it seems that turning it right turns up the psi and left turns it down.

I'm going to look at it again tomorrow but...I'm not seven sure what I'm asking...does anyone have any general regulator tips or even someone with the same one have specific advice? I'm expecting more wallwater and potential explosions when I have another go at it tomorrow.....

Hi!
I have a regulator for disposable CO2 bottles (welder's CO2). It has +/- arrows on the knob. It operates the opposite way to a water tap i.e. clockwise to open. It has no pressure gauge, however.

Hi!
I have a regulator for disposable CO2 bottles (welder's CO2). It has +/- arrows on the knob. It operates the opposite way to a water tap i.e. clockwise to open. It has no pressure gauge, however.

+- would've been handy, at least my exploding tap has given me some indication of which way to turn it

Hi again,
Looking at the regulator on the Malt Miller website, doesn't the right hand gauge show pressure in the CO2 tank and the other gauge show pressure in your keg?
Found this on another site:"Picnic taps are very handy when transporting your keg to a party but unless you have long lengths of beer line the pressure from the keg will cause huge amount of foaming. The only way to avoid this with a short beer line is to vent the keg and use just enough gas to push the beer out of the keg."
What pressure are you putting into your keg?

I bought this reg from the malt miller. The first one they sent was faulty in that it didn't regulate the flow at all, essentially it was either on or off. consequently I shot water all over the kitchen and blew the gas lines out of the john guest push fittings. Malt Miller said that they had a faulty batch and sent me a new one straight away (excellent service by the way).

It may be that you have a faulty one. If you set the pressure to say 10lbs does it hold at this or just keep going up?

I bought this reg from the malt miller. The first one they sent was faulty in that it didn't regulate the flow at all, essentially it was either on or off. consequently I shot water all over the kitchen and blew the gas lines out of the john guest push fittings. Malt Miller said that they had a faulty batch and sent me a new one straight away (excellent service by the way).

It may be that you have a faulty one. If you set the pressure to say 10lbs does it hold at this or just keep going up?

ah balls this may be what's happening with mine, I didn't have much time to play with it last night but yeah I think I have the same issue

When you get your regulator sorted it is fairly easy to add an extra pressure gauge.

DSCF5091.jpg

I have one of the pepsi 6 point manifolds and find the gauges are calibrated to high pressure soft drinks so added additional lower pressure gauges.

The ones in the background are fitted to JG 3 way tee's. There are also some additional JG shut offs in addition to the manifold one (oh ye of little trust :smile:). Little out of focus but you get the picture:

DSCF5093.jpg

I have it. It works fine for my application, I prime in the keg, use CO2 to seal the lid and dispense. I had a combined disconnect and tap at first and it does shoot out. The picnic taps don't really have enough line length to reduce the pressure, so you may find you get a glass of foam.
I've now got a normal shank and extended line now, but will be getting a flow control tap in the near future to help with foaming.

When you get your regulator sorted it is fairly easy to add an extra pressure gauge.

DSCF5091.jpg

I have one of the pepsi 6 point manifolds and find the gauges are calibrated to high pressure soft drinks so added additional lower pressure gauges.

The ones in the background are fitted to JG 3 way tee's. There are also some additional JG shut offs in addition to the manifold one (oh ye of little trust :smile:). Little out of focus but you get the picture:

DSCF5093.jpg
That is one beautiful looking set up

Back