Hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OxfordNick

Reaction score
Ive been a casual home brewer for quite a long time - mostly "hedgerow wine" (I use the term loosely) & the odd beer kit when the mood took me - and over the years Ive built up quite a stock which has escaped from the store under the stairs into the living room...
648lBp7l.jpg

--
More recently Ive been doing some travelling & after a mildy inspirational Christmas trip to Portland, Oregon (63 micro breweries in the municipal area) Ive started getting more interested in making beer - and started with a bang with a couple of malt/finishing grain kits from F.H. Steinbart which came back in my luggage - much to the interest of the TSA who opened everything in the airport.

Despite this unwanted attention & not having anything really suitable for a proper boil, the first batch of beer came out pretty well (cold hopped, so its got a bit of a haze on pre-bottling..)
FsTFv2dm.jpg

--
.. It did clear eventually ... unlike the second batch, which was tainted by something in the brew process & ended up down the sink.

Since then Ive been accumulating brewing kit & trying out various things to get comfortable with the process ; at the moment theres a Ginger Beer on the go which is a mixture of a Coopers kit (reduced to �£5 as close to sell by date), some extra ground ginger & brown sugar - its certainly lively, might need a few more days to calm down before bottling.

Ive also been doing some more travelling, including a trip to Vegas at Easter where I discovered the Tenaya Creek brewery:
DXs16dJl.jpg

--
Just 28 beers on tap that day. Thankfully I was walking back to the hotel..

So bottling day for the ginger beer kit - The �£5 coopers kit + a packet of ground ginger for a little extra punch:
GsyhzLol.jpg

--
The extra ginger powder has left it a bit cloudy but it tastes pretty good now - fermented all the sugar out so should be around 4' abv, be interesting to see if it clears & what its like in a month or so. Quite impressed - will do that one again I think.

Next up - a Truebrew IPA kit that came back from the USA with me. Need more storage space so might have to have a couple of weeks of dedicated drinking before I get that one on.

Latest posts

Back