AG Brewing Mash Tun Temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi sorry for the newbie question. I will be starting my first AG brew soon using equipment that i have built up using a cool box as a Mash Tun. My question is, when a recipe calls for 60 Mins at 66C then 10 Mins at 75C how do you raise the temp of the Mash Tun, do you just add boiling water until the temp is 75C?

Sorry if its obvious but the recipes i've read talk about specific amount of water for the mash so not sure if you can add more to raise the temperature.

Yes, adding boiling water will do it. This is commonly referred to as mashing out.

The theory is that this halts enzyme activity and stops more complicated sugars in the wort from being broken down into simpler, easier for yeast to process, sugars. Without this step, the mash will continue until the wort hits this temperature in the boil. Making the wort more fermentable and the beer thinner in body.

Saying that, given the small volumes that homebrewers work with the time between the end of the mash and the start of the boil is far shorter than that of large scale breweries, where this practice originates, and as a result most homebrewers skip this step with little to no issue.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Yes, adding boiling water will do it. This is commonly referred to as mashing out.

The theory is that this halts enzyme activity and stops more complicated sugars in the wort from being broken down into simpler, easier for yeast to process, sugars. Without this step, the mash will continue until the wort hits this temperature in the boil. Making the wort more fermentable and the beer thinner in body.

Saying that, given the small volumes that homebrewers work with the time between the end of the mash and the start of the boil is far shorter than that of large scale breweries, where this practice originates, and as a result most homebrewers skip this step with little to no issue.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Agreed, the stove top mashes I did were usually half length brews and added to a one can kit for a 23-25L brew.

A few times I just forgot the mash out. Made no difference I could detect. (hic) :whistle:

Latest posts

Back