Dry hop in the bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
Has anybody tried doing this?

I had a little taster of a brew I was bottling last night and thought it could maybe do with a little more hops aroma. I wondered what would happen if I just dropped a pellet or 2 of hops into the bottle before capping and carbonating. I didn't do it last night though. I bottled out (if you'll pardon the pun).

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/dry-hopped-bud-light.html

Then I read this excellent article where the author does exactly that. He buys a case of bud, pops the caps, drops a few hop pellets in each, and recaps. I think it's a great way to compare different hop aromas, and maybe work out interesting combinations to use.

Anyone want to do a pellet swap?

I tried it out with a bottle last week after reading the article.
It works well, and I'm gonna try it again with a few more varieties at the w/e

Is there anything fermentable in the hop pellet? If so, the results of adding to homebrew might be a bit messier than adding a pellet to a bottle of filtered beer...

Is there anything fermentable in the hop pellet? If so, the results of adding to homebrew might be a bit messier than adding a pellet to a bottle of filtered beer...

I understand that pellets can act as nucleation points (if you use an airlock, there is sometimes more airlock activity just after dry-hopping). If this is the case, I wouldn't want to add too many to a bottle. A keg would be ok as they have pressure relief valves/bands and could be vented.

I tried it out with a bottle last week after reading the article.
It works well, and I'm gonna try it again with a few more varieties at the w/e

Great. I have some odds and ends of left over pellets (cascade, Loral, palisade I think) if you would like to do a pellet swap, pm me and I will mail you a couple of pellets of each.

In a word. Gushers.

There are two issues, the first has already been mentioned, and that is they will act as a nucleation point and cause rapid degassing when opened. The second, hops contain diastatic enzymes that further break down the complex sugars in beer into simpler sugars that any remaining yeast can ferment.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...2D1wQFggmMAA&usg=AOvVaw2Vo3N15lHNaT4vqnH5Blg1

There is a Belgian beer called Sint Canarus Maeght van Gottem that is bottled with a solitary hop flower in the bottle, well renowned for being a gusher.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Woud the addition of some hop tea to a bottle work? Or would the diastatic enzymes be transferred in quantities enough to cause a problem in the tea?

It is likely that any enzymes would be denatured making a hot hop tea. It appears like an odd workaround to add more hop aroma, wouldn't it be easier and less problematic to get the beer right before committing to bottle?

If you want to compare hops, following the article you posted would be a better way to do it. Adding pellets to a precarbonated beer that has been filter and contains no residual yeast.

In a word. Gushers.

There are two issues, the first has already been mentioned, and that is they will act as a nucleation point and cause rapid degassing when opened. The second, hops contain diastatic enzymes that further break down the complex sugars in beer into simpler sugars that any remaining yeast can ferment.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...2D1wQFggmMAA&usg=AOvVaw2Vo3N15lHNaT4vqnH5Blg1

There is a Belgian beer called Sint Canarus Maeght van Gottem that is bottled with a solitary hop flower in the bottle, well renowned for being a gusher.

Yep I agree and I know what m talking about as I have done it.i tried two bottles of Budweiser ,the first one gushed everywhere as mentioned and the second one was rank with one pellet in it,would have been even worse with two.Homebrew May be different though?

if you would like to do a pellet swap, pm me and I will mail you a couple of pellets of each.

Would love to but I literally have just 3g of each hop to use, as I've been buying ingredients in exact qtys - I thought this would be a good way of using them up rather than just making for a slightly bigger dry hop.
Should also add that I've only tried this with shop bought lager, not with a HB - those are already hoppy enough!

Latest posts

Back