Wheat Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sion

Reaction score
I am considering this ‘Wheat Wine 1’ recipie from ‘Home Made Country Wines’ by Dorothy Wise.

For the wheat, I am planning to use crystal malt, left over from a beer homebrew.

Hoping for a complex malt character, with a mix of fruity flavours.

What do you think?

If its the wheat wine 1 you are going to make I have made that one and it turned out pretty good, the crystal malt is not as fermentable in a mash so I would doubt it would be fermentable in wine, but I am not a wine maker, so it is just an opinion.

Can't say really, never heard of anyone using crystal in wine before. I would suggest using 1 tsp Amylase per Gallon though to help clear up any starch haze, and the same of pectolase for the pectin haze.
I would ignore the method in that book though, putting any solids into a Demijohn will cause hassle. Do a pulp ferment in a bucket for a week, then strain off into a demijohn, also don't bottle after 3 weeks that could prove quite dangerous as you risk the bottles exploding.

Well, I have now it fermenting away, in a bucket, with an airlock.

I plan to keep it in a warm place for 3 weeks, stirring once a day, before transferring into a demijohn in the garage. Initially with an airlock, until I am happy fermentation has stopped.

It smelled pretty good (to me) when I was mixing it all in, we will see.

Thanks for the tips using amylase and pectolase. I will stock up for my next country wine.

After bottling, how do you recommend that I leave before trying?

After bottling, how do you recommend that I leave before trying?

Wheat wine I would say 6-9 months, but I would be tempted to leave it in the demijohn for at least 3 months to reduce the chances of sediment dropping out in the bottle. So once bottled say 3 months, then at 3 month intervals to see when it reaches its "peak".

Back