hot water pump for circulating hot mash/boiling wort wanted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for some recommendations for a hot water pump for recirculating hot mash water and also for pumping the boiling wort to the counterflow chiller and back for sanitising. I've just been doing it through gravity but it's a bit of a pain to get it started.
if you can recommend a cheapo one on ebay, if anyone knows which ones would fit directly onto Vossy's silicone tube stuff then that would be ideal! cheers :cheers:

You could use the mini solar pumps for about £25 but i found these as well which are Mag coupled here. this means you can throttle them on the out flow with out a bypass or the need to vary the voltage to the motor. They can be used for 100+c temps.

:thumb: :thumb:

They also do lots of other shiny homebrew stuff as well be warned you lot :lol: :lol:

Mark (aka mrlard) is a top bloke . . . done a few deals with him, and spent some time talking to him at the CBA National in Bristol last year.

His conicals look the biz from the piccies I've seen

thanks again guys, I've sent him an email asking a few questions, maybe you guys might know the answers.
1)the mini pump looks to have screw on 'input/ outputs', dunno how you're suppose to fit tubing onto that or if there is an attachment.
2)I take it they come fully wired and ready to go?
3) if the 24dc one will be powerful enough to circulate the wort through the chiller and back up.
4) can you use this to help when sparging to get the wort clear, if you just open the mash tun halfway , run the mash liqour through until clear then into the boiler, or it its best not to use incase grain gets stuck inside it?

cheers :cheers:

The Solar pumps are very easy to block up (I have one)

They take 1/2BSPP Fittings . . . Want to see how ridiculous it looks with a Camlock on it :rofl: :rofl:

My Solar pump is purely for recircing the HLT to ensure no dead spots . . . and sparging on the small kit

Aleman said:
My Solar pump is purely for recircing the HLT to ensure no dead spots
Just what i've installed as well.
Beats standing on 2 beer crates and stirring the 100lt of hot liquor in the HLT when your half asleep at 6am for that early brewday :pray:

got the pump today, thanks for the recommendations guys.I will need to get some garden hosepipe and attach it with a jubilee clip as the Vossy silicone tube is too small to fit onto the fittings, as you can see above. do you guys know how to wire it to a dc power source? I take it that's not a standard plug as there is only 2 wires, a red and black one.

cheers

MINI MAG COUPLED PUMPS from homebrewbuilder..

I am in need of a new pump now that I have had 3 solar 12v pumps separately fail on me over the last 1.5 years :(

Does anyone use the MINI MAG COUPLED PUMPS referenced above and provide any feedback? I need something to pump boiling wort.

:cheers:

abeyptfc said:
I've still to use mine, the description on the website says it will pump boiling liquid

thanks - looking at your pic above, you have the solar one - correct? it was the more expensive one I was inquiring about as I've had 3 solar ones already.

I will need to get some garden hosepipe and attach it with a jubilee clip as the Vossy silicone tube is too small to fit onto the fittings, as you can see above.
That's a 1/2" camlock isn't it, 24mm OD...I'm not surprised the forum hose at 12.7mm ID won't go over it...it's stretchy...but not that stretchy :lol: Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same, standard garden hose pipe will also not fit, I'm pretty certain of that as most is 15mm semi rigid woven.
Did you get wider hose abr :hmm:

yeah I got a new male 1/2 " thread which screws onto the pump and it has a slide on part which the hose fits onto. as you can tell im not very technical! still to wire it up though!

Latest posts

Back