Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princesspopup

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been making hb since 2008 but usually make wine from foraging (dandelion/honeysuckle/sloes etc
I'm a fairly infrequent visitor to this board but am posting for the 1st time as I need your advice
I have been offered honey from a friend and he'd like me to make mead. Do any of you have a recipe you swear by?
Also what exactly should mead turn out like? I've seen pics online of it fizzy and stored in beer bottles but thought it was more like a wine.
Txs in advance
pp

Mead can be fizzy or still, and ranges from beer strength to liquer strength. Check what your friend wants. Still is far easier. Honey is about 80% fermentable sugars, when you do your strength calcs.
Assuming his honey has a particular flavour he wants to keep you probably don't want to be adding lots of other flavouring ingredients.
Honey needs plenty of yeast nutrient.
Past that, I don't know much about it, but a few people here do and should be along in a bit.
Also you may want to check out gotmead.com

The way I do it is

4 340g pots of honey in a DJ top up with water and shake it to mix then throw a handful of raisins in a tsp of nutrient and wine yeast.

you can add pretty much any fruit although orange is most common.
I leave it for about 2 weeks then rack off to another DJ.

When its pretty much clear bottle de-gass and leave for as long as you can stand to.

gets a nice drinkable wine
And if you want it fizzy leave for a bit longer in first DJ and when its juat starts to clear bottle with a bit of sugar or honey. Not saying that's how its done, just how I do it and it ain't failed me yet and have a few mates that nag me to get another batch on.

Back