Stout - homegrown hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivetide

Reaction score
Hi there. I need to try out my new mashtun sooner rather than later I think. As soon as I can lay my hands on some more malt from my chum at the local micro, I'm going to make a stout using tried and tested grain balance (7:2:1) and hops from this year's garden crop of Whitbread Goldings variety (WGV). It would come in especially handy at Christmas when it is a tradition for my family to drink stout with port. Together. Yum.

Here's the basic recipe anyhow. Let me know what you think, especially the lack of late hops, which is a first for me. Also, will WGV do a good job? I like the idea of using my own hops but thought Fuggles might be put to better use with EKG in a lighter ale, and I don't have any Target or Bullion, which might be preferable in a stout. I have ordered a decent yeast, however...

A Stock Stout?
Pale Malt 3.5Kg
Flaked Barley 1Kg
Roasted Barley 500g

WGV 70g, 60 minute boil (approx 40 IBU @ 5%AA)
No aroma hops

Irish Ale White Labs WLP004

1.046 - 1.013 > 4.4%ABV

with the exception of 5 IBU's more than my stouts, that looks exactly the same as mine, and it's flippin gorgeous :drink:

what's your efficiency? i only ask cos if it's any less than 80%, i think your IBU's might come close to overshooting your OG figure. i'd get about 1.040-42 with that grain bill.

my genius recipe is near identical, with exception to Maris otter at 3.75kg, that gives me 1.045.

Thanks for the feedback - I calculated this based on 75% efficiency, but I'd hope to get nearer 80% in reality.

You used WGV did you?

EDIT : Just seen your Genius recipe and it is almost the same isn't it, except you have 24l brew length and I calculated based on 23L. I must admit that all I did was take the 7:2:1 idea and just used that for a 5Kg grain bill and this is what came up! I may add some torrified wheat too, just 250g.

sorry, no, i used Northern Brewer hops, not WGV

i highly recommend adding wheat malt as per my TaRd recipe as it adds a very silky mouthfeel and a fuller flavour to my stouts ;) makes them a little sweeter too, so you would be safer with the higher IBU you seem to be going for

Recipe looks fine, perhaps a bit light on malt.

Hop wise I'd say you were fine, a big hop character is not a requirement of stouts so whatever hops you are using (as long as they are not C-Hops) will work well, As BS has said you might be close to the borderline IBU wise . . . I'd possibly go down to 30 . .. Hop aroma is not required so no late hops at all, that will let the roast character shine through.

Classic malt selection, which doesn't need altering and will give you a nice dry stout. Subbing Wheat malt for some or all of the Flaked barley will give you a sweeter stout . . . depends on which way you want to go.

Thanks Aleman.

Maybe this then:

Pale Malt 3.75Kg
Flaked Barley 800g
Roasted Barley 500g
Wheat Malt 200g

WGV 60g, 60 minute boil (approx 34 IBU @ 5%AA)
No aroma hops

Irish Ale White Labs WLP004

1.049 - 1.014 > 4.6%ABV

I want to keep much of the dryness but the small addition of wheat might just round things off nicely and help the head formation a little, while not adding too much sweetness.

Latest posts

Back