How to build a stir plate for less than ten quid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished mine, in a Cuban cigar box, and it works a treat. Thanks for the guide @strange-steve :thumb:

Mines almost done just waiting for the speed control to arrive from China. Went for some aluminum checker plate liberated from work.

f0d6v8.jpg

Mines almost done just waiting for the speed control to arrive from China. Went for some aluminum checker plate liberated from work.

Nice one, love the industrial look, definitely more manly than mine :thumb:

Ignore the hello kitty cd player in the background and you could call it manly lol

Ive turned the picture, you can now get a better look at the kitty cd player. :wink:

If you take pictures in portrait they appear turned 90 degrees, if you take them in landscape they don't. :thumb:

Sorry for being thick....how does this work? How is the vortex created inside the jar from the spinning fan inside the box?

Cheers

Clint

They put magnets as such on the fan itself. Then lob one in the jar too. As the fan spins it whizzes the other one about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a Teflon magnetic stir bar.

Edit not necessarily this one but something similar. Although I like this one has different sizes.

Screenshot_20161101-183600.png

finished mine last night.
99p for a fan. £2.60 for the magnets (which are great fun)got 10 used 2
few quid for a stir bar, used an old chrager for the power and found a nice strong cardboard box in the shed,
so well chuffed, :thumb:

finished mine last night.
99p for a fan. �£2.60 for the magnets (which are great fun)got 10 used 2
few quid for a stir bar, used an old chrager for the power and found a nice strong cardboard box in the shed,
so well chuffed, :thumb:

Any pics?
And yes I had loads of fun playing with the spare magnets too :smile:

i didnt take pics as i went,didnt want to over do it. but heres some after pics,im a tight axse so chip as chips for me.

[URL=http://s626.photobucket.com/user/Simbo09/media/20161105_142814_zpsklocxbzq.jpg.html] [/URL]

hot glue gunned the magnets to the fan,then the fan to the base of the box.

[URL=http://s626.photobucket.com/user/Simbo09/media/20161105_150252_zpsbltewtzu.jpg.html] [/URL]

set the flask on the box

[URL=http://s626.photobucket.com/user/Simbo09/media/20161105_150242_zpsczzxoojl.jpg.html] [/URL]

hey presto ...:thumb: , very pleased.
just waiting on the female plug for the power lead to plug in to,
one reason i like this box,is its big enough to keep the charger and magnet in when not in use, keeps it all nice and tidy.

Just wait until your moving it about mm's at a time trying to get the very best whirl without it clinking on the side of the flask. I spend hours messing with it ;-)

I swapped to an oval stir bar without the centre ridge and it now runs almost completely silent even at full speed. The vortex isn't quite as deep as with the other bar but it's more than enough.

Back