How to make Turbo Cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, in the recipe you state "yeast for 25 litres". Exactly how much yeast is that, in grams?

Thanks!

The first post by Roddy got screwed up when the forum software changed i have edited it. :thumba:

Hi all

Cant remember where i picked up this method for bottle priming but here goes. I use it when ive got a delicate trub i dont want to disturb or when i want a more exact carbonation.

Babies medicine syringe they come with bottles of calpol but pharmacies will either give you one for free if you ask or some charge a small fee.

Simplest example is: measure 5g sugar per bottle in a measuring jug making it up to 5mls per bottle including the volume of the sugar.

So for 40 bottles youd use 200g sugar topped up to 200ml with boiling water. I do this before i start sanitizing bottles and bang this in the freezer with cling film over to chill.

I prefer to add it to filled bottles but inject it fairly slowly and avoid squirting it in cause it will cause ur beer to foam everywhere. Experience!

I remember once I bad a batch of beer that was not quite as carbinated as I would like, so I got a bottle and decided to add another carb drop to it. Lol it was like a fountain of foam and beer.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

I can't tell if I'm being stupid but I can't seem to find the yeast with sweetener mentioned in the OP, anyone got a link?

I can't tell if I'm being stupid but I can't seem to find the yeast with sweetener mentioned in the OP, anyone got a link?

Here...

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Cider-Y...8.l2649&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1#vi__app-cvip-panel
Screenshot_20180821-220616_Samsung Internet.jpg

Afternoon all,

Negligent of me not to have put this up before now, but here's my take on a straightforward 25L Apple Turbo Cider...

Give me a shout if I'm missed any bits out or if anything isn't clear, I knocked it up quite quickly !

It doesn't paste that well into the new thread window, but there is a Word version of the below on OneDrive using the link below
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AqD9OOcGhwessDgrtHSnwAxFhhpY

Recipe for 25L Classic Apple TC (5.35% abv)

These are not hard and fast rules, but a bit of a guideline and what I have done before

Ingredient
20L Asda Smart price AJ (or any supermarket apple juice made from 100% Apple juice/apple juice from concentrate) so long as no other added ingredients)
1L strong tea (regular Tetley, 5 bags stewed for 15 mins)
5tsp Pectolase
325g sugar (ordinary tate & lyle granulated is fine) for priming
Yeast for 25L (I use cider yeast with sweetener E950 from ebay, but you can use any cider yeast, but without sweetener, may make the cider quite dry/sharp without back-sweetening

Kit

27/30L Fermenting vessel with stick on thermometer strip preferably
Second FV for priming (see priming section)
Long spoon
Hydrometer
Auto-siphon
Bottling wand, to connect to auto-siphon
Bottles (I use a mixture of 500ml PET plastic and glass swingtop bottles)

Method

Thoroughly clean and sanitise FV, spoons, and hydrometer
Pour in apple juice (best at room temp)
Pour in stewed tea (take out the bags ;-) )
Dissolve pectolase in ½ cup warm water and tip this in
Top up with tap water to 25L
You want to aim for a starting temp around 20 degrees C, a little colder is OK, but will take a bit longer to get started. Warmer is OK up to about 25 degrees
Sprinkle yeast on top, put lid on (with airlock if that’s the kind of FV you’re using)
Put in a warm place, ideal temp for fermentation is between 18-24 degrees

Day 10

At a temperature of around 22 degrees, your TC could be finished fermenting in as little as a week, but to make sure, give it at least 10 days before taking an SG reading

When finished fermenting, TC should have an SG reading of around 1.000 don’t move on to the next step if is above that

Priming and bottling (making it fizzy)

2 ways of doing this:-

Batch priming (My preferred method)

Although this needs a second sanitized FV to siphon (rack) the TC into and add priming solution, I find it much easier in the long run, and avoids extra time/mess trying to add a teaspoon of sugar (or coopers carb drops) into 50 bottles !

Dissolve 325g sugar in some hot tap water (just enough to get it to dissolve and be pourable
Siphon cider from primary FV to secondary, add priming sugar
Give it a good swirl/stir to mix in the sugar solution
Move FV to somewhere suitable for bottling (FV should be above the height of where you are bottling)
Attach the bottling wand to the autosiphon tube and immediately bottle your cider
Put bottled cider somewhere warm (ca 20deg) for at least a week to clear, and carb up. Tip. Using at least some plastic (PET) bottles will allow you to feel how the card process is going by squeezing the bottles, the y will get firmer as the co2 is produced.
Once they bottles have completely cleared, they will be pretty much ready to drink, so chill one and try it out
They will get better with a few more weeks in a cooler storage place, to condition a little.

Bottle priming

Using the autosiphon and bottling wand, fill each of your bottles with cider
Add a heaped teaspoonful of sugar to each 500ml bottle (or 2 x Coopers carb drops, get these on web or in home brew shop)
Put lid on and turn bottle upside down and back up again, to mix
Put bottled cider somewhere warm (ca 20deg) for at least a week to clear, and carb up. Tip. Using at least some plastic (PET) bottles will allow you to feel how the card process is going by squeezing the bottles, the y will get firmer as the co2 is produced.
Once they bottles have completely cleared, they will be pretty much ready to drink, so chill one and try it out
They will get better with a few more weeks in a cooler storage place, to condition a little.

Chilling/Pouring

This stuff is definitely best served icy cold, so give it a good overnight in the fridge if you can. I also like my cider quite fizzy, so unchilled it will tend to fizz up when I open a bottle, but it doesnt do this when its cold

After clearing, there will be some sediment in the bottom of the bottle, so for a nice clear glass, you want to avoid glugging the cider when pouring. So pour it slowly keeping the bottle just above horizontal, and youll see when the cloudy sediment starts to make its way to the top of the bottle, at which point you can stop pouring and leave the remaining few ml of liquid to get chucked (or pour it all in if you like it cloudy !)

Hi complete noob when it comes to making TC so going to give this a go, I have a freezer full of the father in laws rhubarb...any idea what quantities I should use to turn this recipe into apple and rhubarb cider?

I use cider yeast with sweetener E950 from ebay, but you can use any cider yeast, but without sweetener, may make the cider quite dry/sharp without back-sweetening

Hey Roddy, nice write up!

Would quite fancy making a cider for the Mrs. She enjoys the likes of Koppaberg and Old Mout to give you an indication of sweetness.

I'll likely be kegging this, so would I be alright to back-sweeten with a few litres of fruit juice; mixed berry or something right before kegging? Otherwise, how much sweetener should I add as a rough guide? I have some Notty ale yeast that I'd like to put to use, hence why I'll not be using the yeast with sweetener like you did.

Cheers!

Evening all.

I may have missed this, so apologies for the duplication; but do youi/is it necessary, to stabilise TC when fermented out, with a CT and PotS?

Evening all.

I may have missed this, so apologies for the duplication; but do youi/is it necessary, to stabilise TC when fermented out, with a CT and PotS?

That depends on a couple of things

1) Do you want it carbonated or still.
2) If you want it carbonated are you kegging it or bottling it

If you want it flat, go ahead and stabilise it once it has fermented out. You can then back sweeten it if you choose

If you want it carbonated and are bottling, then don't stabilise it, otherwise the yeast will not ferment the priming sugar to produce the CO2 and carbonate your cider in the bottle.

I keg my cider and prefer to backsweeten it just a touch. So I stabilise the cider once it ferments out, then backsweeten with a little apple juice before kegging it and force carbonating.

Thank you barazilian!

I am just going to have a quick look at what force carbonation is!

Here's my take on TC. After many attempts and good results, here's my keeper:
Using a 10l plastic water bottle..

9½l 100% AJ, from the shop.
½l tea - 6 tea bags absolutely stewed
310g table sugar dissolved in warmed up stewed tea
Lalvin QA 23 yeast. Half a sachet 2.5g
Tsp yeast nutrient

Ferment until clear (two weeks)
Rack off into a secondary for 1 week. It's now already v. pleasant apple wine.
If you can resist that, there's about 9½ litres left.
Bulk prime with 110g dextrose.
Leave at room temp (19c here) for another 5 days in 1½l PET bottles.
2 days in the fridge. It just gets better, so get some more on.

Lads, you'll forget Liverpool won the EC in no time ;-)

The key is the QA 23 yeast. I've used champagne and ale and all sorts (but not liquorice..). This was the clincher. 2.5g is perfect for 10l.
I also used a blow off tube, as it goes a bit mental 1st 2 days and I found the little regular bubblers couldn't hold their water. It does calm down quickly after that.
Not too dry, not too sweet. Perfect alc balance (no idea what). Best cider I've ever had.

Back