Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope to have around 100g of cascade, fuggle was really poor crop, maybe 16g.

I just threw mine into a freezer. Not sure when I will using those, as now my focus is on darker beers.

Yeah, would be cheaper just to buy them, but where is fun in that? :)

I harvested 1.75kg from my cascade plant yesterday evening and must have left at least 1kg still on the bine.
Loads more here than I need for my brew today, so will see how drying some goes.
Does anyone fancy a wet hop brew bottle swap?

upload_2019-9-22_6-12-18.jpeg

I also harvested my Cascade last night, before the rain arrives today.

Big crop about 3 times as much as the Styrian Goldings, which I froze after drying. Reckon there's enough for 2 brews so probably 6 out of the Cascade.

I thought the Styrian was going to die in the July heat, the leaves went very brittle and it looked very sick, but recovered as soon as it cooled down a bit. That probably stunted hop growth.

Harvested Centennial on Saturday and Goldings on Friday.

482gm of Centennial and 420gm of Goldings

All dried and vacuum packed into freezer. Think Goldings could have been picked weekend before but wasn’t around.

Cascade and Chinook next. Didn’t think they were ready yet. Seems late but that may be South Yorkshire for you.

Attachments

• D7DE5220-7014-4B90-B918-292049BCBCDB.jpeg
    D7DE5220-7014-4B90-B918-292049BCBCDB.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 7059915C-8A1E-433A-A379-886C0517794C.jpeg
    7059915C-8A1E-433A-A379-886C0517794C.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 236
  • BEF3731A-55FB-414C-BE7B-85AE415C1A24.jpeg
    BEF3731A-55FB-414C-BE7B-85AE415C1A24.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 233
  • A2770A13-9FAA-4FD4-AB34-8E9636EA5CF4.jpeg
    A2770A13-9FAA-4FD4-AB34-8E9636EA5CF4.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 257
“I harvested 1.75kg from my cascade plant yesterday evening and must have left at least 1kg still on the bine.“

That’s awesome. Wow. Great yield

“I harvested 1.75kg from my cascade plant yesterday evening and must have left at least 1kg still on the bine.“

That’s awesome. Wow. Great yield

That's wet weight, but I was amazed as I only got 500g last year - they just seemed never ending :laugh8:

That's wet weight, but I was amazed as I only got 500g last year - they just seemed never ending :laugh8:

wow! Did you do anything re: fertiliser? I got 480 wet.

looking to do Chinook and Cascade next weekend but doubt I will even get 500g

wow! Did you do anything re: fertiliser?

No this year I did nothing, didn't even cover with compost in the winter.
The only thing I did differently this year was to cut out as many side shoots and new shoots as possible to try to stop it getting too thick & bushy. Maybe the bumber harvest is just becaue its the plants third year and its getting more productive??

I planted three rhizomes last year: a cascade, a centennial and a challenger. The first two produced a crop last year and this. I must say the harvest wasn't much greater this year than last, but we had a late frost and an early heat wave, which has caused all sorts of problems with all sorts of things. The challenger produced this year, but not enough to worth bothering with.
I never bother processing these hops. For each variety I make a basic APA bittered with Magnum last year and CTZ this year and then divide the crop into four: first quarter gets ten minutes boil, second quarter goes in at flameout and the last half has a 20 minute steep at <80C. No dry hopping. The aroma of these beers is incredible, fresh and floral in a way that can't be achieved with dried hops no matter how fresh they are. More so with the Centennial than the cascade.
We're talking about 115-120 g in a 27 litre batch for the centennial and 20 litres for the 90g cascade.
I left the cascade in an open container overnight (to do an overnight mash) and lost 12g of moisture by the morning- so weights refer to freshly-picked.

Finally drinking this year's harvest.
Only packaged yesterday but pretty good. Distinctive but mild wet hop flavour and very quaffable but I don't get any of the usual cascade citrusiness.
20191013_162917.jpg

My Styrian Goldings went in today. Xmas present but they gave it to me early because they didn’t believe it could go in the fridge

My daughter bought me a £20 gift voucher for a bunch called `Hops and Flowers' back in May for my birthday. Redeemed it a few weeks ago (you have to wait til the hops are dormant) and got 3 rhizomes - a challenger, a goldings and a progress. Have to say the rhizomes were very impressive, massive roots and loads of buds on them. Should have taken a photo.
They work out at £9.50 each plus £7.50 postage.
I've popped them in pots for now and will plant out properly probably at the beginning of march.

My daughter bought me a £20 gift voucher for a bunch called `Hops and Flowers' back in May for my birthday. Redeemed it a few weeks ago (you have to wait til the hops are dormant) and got 3 rhizomes - a challenger, a goldings and a progress. Have to say the rhizomes were very impressive, massive roots and loads of buds on them. Should have taken a photo.
They work out at £9.50 each plus £7.50 postage.
I've popped them in pots for now and will plant out properly probably at the beginning of march.
If you have the opportunity to put your rhizomes in the ground earlier I would do so. You can always cover them with fleece or similar if the weather gets really cold. When I received my Prima Donna rhizomes in January last year I put them into my pots immediately (where they have intentionally remained), and by early March I had shoots poking through.

Centennial is amazing if you make a beer and toss the harvest in at flameout. It just tastes like flowers. (not the beer, the plants).
Cheers, I read that it doesn't give the citrus and pine you get from it from the terroir in the states. More spice and floral. Looking forward to hopefully making a beer from it next year (or more likely the year after)

My centennial grown in glasgow has a definite lime flavour to it, I really like it. It's not as potent as US centennial, much like UK cascade is more subtle than the US cascade. I used 1.5 kg wet in a wet hop IPA, it was thoroughly enjoyable

I got a bumper crop this year from my hallertau mittelfruh, one was just a a second year cutting and the other in a large pot, which I'l replace this year with some cuttings from the centennial. I got 1kg dried. Thankfully I like it a lot in bitters etc :laugh8:

I did an experiment to see if I could grow anything this far north, and planted wild hop seeds. I got about 6 healthy plants from them and in the first year were up to the second floor - but no female plants asad1. So pulled them all up again - or at least tried to.
The roots were as thick as a pen and about 4ft plus long, and the next year I still had them coming up, so tried again to remove them. Third year I still had them sprouting! One almost made it undiscovered behind the compost bin.
So yes -they can grow up here in Aberdeen.

What I can see reading your posts is that you either get fed up with the ones you have or want something different to what you have got :?:

Maybe sell your excess to a local HB shop?

I would be happy to buy a rhizome if anyone wants to sell me a bit.

Back