Beer you just don't like/can't drink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found myself in a bar this lunchtime, facing a beer tap that said: Amstel. So I tried it...nothing like the excellent Dutch version. Must be brewed in UK. It was cloudy and so rough I didn't finish it - (even though it was almost ��£4.00...) :doh:

most lagers and about 3 pints of anything as dark as hobgoblin is the limit for me, now ipa or gold on the other hand is a whole different story:drink:

I was going to do a stout and take 5l to add candi sugar, orange peel and coriander. I take it you would leave out the latter? :)

So much beer is undrinkable could go on forever. :mrgreen:

Me personally no, I love the flavour of coriander seed in beer, go for it. I think those Belgian wit style flavours would work well in a stout, I was thinking of trying something similar in the future so let me know how it goes :thumb:

Nothing I cannot actually drink but plenty I do not enjoy

Fosters - even most f the mass produced **** I can drink but fosters I find a deeper level of horrid, carling castlemain XXXX tennants ect not far behind..

John SMiths - to me this tastes chemically.

Banana bread beer was a resounding nope when I let everyone try it one xmas..

Green King IPA - drinkable but its utter ****

I may be totally wrong about this but I think a lot of the mass produced lager we have piling on to the shelves in Tescos is worse than it was 10 years ago, a lot of the more premium beers have dropped below 5% (some alcohol tax law or something) and just seem worse off for it.. make your own lager and its lovely fresh and crisp.

Aside from obvious stack em high, sell em cheap pish, one I had not too long ago was Duchess de Bourgogne.

Apparently, it's generally well-regarded. I found it pretty unpleasant. Like I'd taken a gobful of balsamic vinegar. Not good at all. That said, I do quite like sours and very much like a goaty old lambic

Duchesse_de_Bourgogne_-_900.jpg

I don't like most of the commercial lagers, too pissy and fizzy for my liking.

I don't like Greene King IPA, Boddingtons or John Smiths.....

Wheat Beer. I've tried and tried to like it but I just can't get on with It. A mate of mine & my brother rave about It. I guess It's just not for me.

And there Is the usual **** water called Fosters,Carling and Carlsburg, I've still got 6 cans of Fosters In my shed which somebody gave me 4 years ago for a favour I did them I felt totally insulted aint spoke to em' since:lol::lol:

I've just got back from Albania where one of the local brews Is called birra Tirana. Arrived at our hotel In a 40 degree heatwave looking forward to a nice cold beer bought 2 bottles of Tirana for me and a G&T for the other half took a big mouthfull and thought bit of a wierd taste but never mind.....then the after taste hit me f*ck me It was foul I even googled the word Tirana to make sure It did'nt translate as dogs breath cos thats what It reminded me of even the missus said It was disgusting and she'll drink anything.

anyway that's my choice sorry for the long winded post'

BTW Tirana Is the capital of Albania

Titanic Plum Porter.

Hopefully i wont get the dogs abuse for this choice as i once did on a FB real ale group, or perhaps i might. I still chuckle at the state some of them got themselves into over my opinion of this overrated sickly sweet concoction.:whistle:

Titanic Plum Porter.

Hopefully i wont get the dogs abuse for this choice as i once did on a FB real ale group, or perhaps i might. I still chuckle at the state some of them got themselves into over my opinion of this overrated sickly sweet concoction.:whistle:

I think it's a lovely pint myself, but I can see why others wouldn't. I couldn't spend a whole night drinking it though.

For me it's got to be Fosters, Carling, Bud, actually that whole category of tasteless devils p**s that we affectionately refer to as 'training lager'.

Trying to think of anything... the commercial crud sold as cider (i.e. Strongbow). I've still got some cans of Strongbow in the garage leftover from our wedding that I really should chuck but the tight git in me thinks it can somehow be used for some purpose like cooking or something.

The acidic Strongbow might go very well in a lamb stew, with root vegetables - perhaps carrots, parsnips or swede, maybe even leeks as well as a few potatoes? Even after all those months, it must be better than ditching it. Very unlikely to be poisonous.

Myself is so plebeian and devoid of higher cultural values, that I would have drunk it yonks ago.

Any Charles Wells or Greene King ales. Bass.

Went into a pub last week and they had a real ale which had pineapple in it. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but I asked for a taster before I ordered. It was absolutely revolting and I quickly ordered a pint of Old Speckled Hen!

Old speckled hen is brewed by Green King.

As an old fart I am old enough to remember the Watney beers. Can't think of anything present day that bad although John Smiths comes close.

Latest posts

Back