Whiskey turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little while ago I mentioned I was doing a whiskey inspired TC after picking up a large quantity of apple juice from Lidl.
Well,it's been a while since bottling and I've had a couple, so thought I'd feed back on what it's like.

Ermmmmm
Don't bother. It's pretty grim.

It's a standard TC base,
4l apple juice,
Young's all purpose yeast
Wine yeast nutrient
Cup of tea (Yorkshire of course)
Bit of sugar to bring its OG to 1070
Left it to brew for 5 days and racked it. Then added about 300ml of some **** whiskey I had left over that I couldn't face drinking.
Left it a month and then bottled it. No idea on the final abv as adding the whiskey will have thrown all the calcs out anyway. But it does have a serious punch (hardly surprising) and it does taste whiskey-ish. But with the cider background, it's just damn unpleasant. Never mind, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Now before I get shouted at, this is just my personal opinion.
I know lots of people that like cider/whiskey cocktails, or warm cider with a shot of single malt as a winter warmer drink.. which is why I gave this TC a try.. But I don't.

I might give it another go and add a dollop of honey and warm it a little, see if it's tolerable. But I think I just don't like that combo

What whiskey did you use? Cider and bourbon is nice, but I can't see cider and scotch working.

Back