Festival Bonfire Toffee Stout back in stock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Just a head's up - Bonfire Toffee Stout has been released by Festival as a limited edition kit.

You may not make bonfire night, but you should have some ready for Christmas!

One of the primary ingredients of bonfire toffee is black treacle, which gives it it's unique taste. So you don't really need this kit to make 'bonfire stout'. Just make up your normal stout, and add black treacle. But don't add too much if you are not a big fan. My start point would be 100g for 20+litres, but then some might think that's not enough.

One of the primary ingredients of bonfire toffee is black treacle, which gives it it's unique taste. So you don't really need this kit to make 'bonfire stout'. Just make up your normal stout, and add black treacle. But don't add too much if you are not a big fan. My start point would be 100g for 20+litres, but then some might think that's not enough.

+1 on the treacle moderation. made a cooper stout with a whole can.... took 6 months to be drinkable. lovely now though nearly a year later.

Has anyone used black treacle to prime stout? If so how much per litre?
Often thought about it, more so as molasses but as terrym says it is something to be used with caution.
I do like a back note of licorice in a sweet stout or porter, but in my opinion priming with either treacle or molasses would not be the way to go.You could try it at different levels in a split batch.

Has anyone used black treacle to prime stout? If so how much per litre?
If I were going to use it, I'd add the treacle at the end of the boil and then prime with sugar. Treacle's difficult to handle and difficult to get to dissolve in cool water or beer. If you've already made your stout and want to add treacle as an afterthought, you could try dissolving the required amount for the batch in sufficient boiling water to thin it, let it cool, and then divide the solution between your bottles. Molasses is is about 70% sugar. Of course if you're using a PB or a keg, just bung it in there. Here's the calculator, use the figures for molasses:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Thanks AA
I bought a Range stout kit with 2.2 kg of extract and made a 10l batch with 300g of Demerara sugar as I could not find Treacle. Made it yesterday but want to use treacle if I can find it. BTW the OG was 7.4%. Using CML Hog Norsk yeast.

It sounds truly horrendous so I'm going to make some. I've still got a Wilco Woodford's Wherry kit that went out of date several years ago so I'll use one of the cans and some steeped dark malts and some treackle to make a gallon.

Interesting. I see it contains oak chips and that Brew UK describes it as "moorish" and filling. Interesting, I didn't know the Moors were into stout!

Back