Ace Microbrewery/Klarstein/Hopcat Pump Mod

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgkpancake

No ragrets
Reaction score
Hi.

I've been brewing with the Ace for awhile and have run into various shortcomings of the unit. It's a fine unit but for those of you who have seen my luck with it, would realize my luck has been not so great (I have replaced most components for the unit).

ONE of the shortcomings of this unit is where the pump intake is and it's prone to clogging. It's at the very bottom. No strainer, nothing to keep stuff out. Now the unit was never designed for the pump to work during boil (instructions say do not use at boiling temperatures). So during mash, it works okay. People have come up with various solutions for clogging issues including grainfather-esque filters, bent pipes, other strainers, and the like.

The reason why I've done this mod is to allow use of the pump at the end of the boil for various things like:

- effective chiller use
- chill plate options
- mechanical Whirlpool via Whirlpool port

And

- easy access for cleaning
- deleting the malt pipe and sharp 90 bend (and the sloppy silicon job on the inside!)

How do I know the pump can work during boil? For the last 5 brews in an effort to destroy the pump, I have run it non-stop during the boil. The pump is designed like it's big larger brothers like chugger, March, etc. A magnetic drive.

The mod only cost me what I already had and compliments the Whirlpool mod I have done in my earlier videos. The existing pump can be mounted externally without any major modifications or drilling. Disconnect the pump, reverse the bracket, turn the body, and flip the ends of the pump. The lead to the switch needs to be extended and ran through the hole where the malt pipe was. Malt pipe was hacked with a hack saw near the top and enough room to allow a hose clamp.

I've had some nay-sayers concerning this mod. The unit is mediocre and you can work around it with mediocrity. That's fine, have your cup of tea. This is by no means innovative but imo promotes discussion towards improving the shortcomings of this unit and units like it. Whether workarounds or otherwise. I will post an update in about a month (current Imperial Stout will take some time).

IMG_20171017_210638.jpg

IMG_20171017_210603.jpg

IMG_20171017_210511.jpg

IMG_20171017_213902.jpg

IMG_20171017_213842.jpg

Thanks for posting. So does the wort get filtered at all before hitting the pump? It looks like it goes straight in.

Thanks for posting. So does the wort get filtered at all before hitting the pump? It looks like it goes straight in.

In the pictures, no. I have a lauter-helix for it. But I want to make a Blichmann style 'hop-blocker' which worked amazing on my rig back home. Might make one of cans!

lauterhex.png

hopblocker-de-blichmann.jpg

Hi folks,

I wonder could someone tell me the internal diameter of hose that is needed to attach to the pump?

I am looking at doing a mod where I reroute the hose section from the pump to the bottom of kettle outside the bottom section, and then split it and put a valve and cam locks. This is so I can use the pump with an external water source. I would mainly use this to take hot sparge water from a second kettle and have it pumped up to the recirculation hose - but in this case it would be clean water coming from my sparge kettle.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Hi!
Great mods!
How did you get the curve on the silicon tubing to make the pick-up tube for the boiler (3rd pic)?
Do you think something like these could be modded to make a hop stopper?

Last edited:
For anyone wanting to do this, is 1/2 inner diameter hose that attaches to either end of the pump.

I've actually been wanting to do this to make my brew day a little easier than pouring water over the top
Hi!
Great mods!
How did you get the curve on the silicon tubing to make the pick-up tube for the boiler (3rd pic)?
Do you think something like these could be modded to make a hop stopper?

The 90 degree silicon bend came with the unit. Comes with an extra one usually!

Hi!
...Do you think something like these could be modded to make a hop stopper?

Its a bit too fine, you will run into problems with mesh like that.

But also don't under estimate doing a whirlpool either, with a proper whirlpool and low hopping rates for a stout or porter you could almost go without a strainer.

Nice mod! How did you block up the existing pump pickup port?

Are you still happy with the mod?

Nice mod! How did you block up the existing pump pickup port?

Are you still happy with the mod?

Yes. This is worth doing for many reasons.

- Easily unclog pump
- Use pump for pumping things like sparge water and wort for whirlpool
- Allows easy access to dry after a brew day (instead of building up mold, etc)

Would do again!

Yeah makes sense. How did you block off the existing pickup port?

I found a silicone cap that just so happen to fit over the tube. IIhave no clue where it came from :/ put a clamp on the end and have not thought about it since. I tested the silicone by taking a lighter to it, when I noticed it changed colour instead of melting, I chose to use it. It's worked ever since. I wish I could give you a better solution, but I think if you searched 'silicone cap' you could easily find an alternative.

Inspired by this mod, I did something slightly different that allows you to easily revert to the original setup if you like. I left the pump inside but routed the pump infeed and the bottom feed of the tank, outside the vessel and attached cam locks to allow you to use the pump for other things like taking water from a second sparge tank for example.

Here is the thread:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ein-sightglass-sparge-and-wirlpool-mod.76369/

Inspired by this mod, I did something slightly different that allows you to easily revert to the original setup if you like. I left the pump inside but routed the pump infeed and the bottom feed of the tank, outside the vessel and attached cam locks to allow you to use the pump for other things like taking water from a second sparge tank for example.

A great idea - thanks - but when you say "cam locks" I presume you mean plumbing fittings produced under the "Camlocks" brand. It would be good if you told us which fittings you used from their range.

Hi all,

Bit of a thread bump, but I'm having issues with the hop filter clogging on my Hopcat too.

I'm not sure that I want to go the extent that the OP has gone to to mod the pump, so my question is has anyone found a larger drop in hop filter, or has anyone modified the one that comes with the machine?

Cheers

H

Hi all,

Bit of a thread bump, but I'm having issues with the hop filter clogging on my Hopcat too.

I'm not sure that I want to go the extent that the OP has gone to to mod the pump, so my question is has anyone found a larger drop in hop filter, or has anyone modified the one that comes with the machine?

Cheers

H

The Brewster Beacon version has a false bottom style filter that simply rests at the bottom of the kettle. It's a bit like the false bottom plate that sits at the bottom of the malt-pipe. It's a much finer grade mesh/perforation though.

Works quite well as it's a giant surface area to act as a filter.

No problem. You don't need to raise it up much, 5mm perhaps. Some chunky stainless nuts or washes might work.

I'll try and get a photo of my filter.

Back