How long to boil when using extra pale malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mcphail

I'm going to tackle one of the DIYDog porter recipes, which has "Extra pale" listed as the base malt. I was going to order the Crisp's Extra Pale Maris Otter from GEB. Is this really a lager malt? Should I boil for 90 minutes instead of 60 to avoid DMS?

I believe there was a Brulosophy experiment recently that pointed towards any DMS present as a result of a shorter boil times being undetectable.

It could be due modern malt varieties being less susceptible or just a practice used by macrobrewers to increase shelf life.

To summarise, I think you'll be just fine with a 60 minute boil.

Is it Alice Porter your brewing?

Great! 60 minutes is much more convenient for my equipment.

I'm planning on trying the Bracken's Porter. It looks fairly straightforward and isn't as extreme as some of the brews in that book.

I have done various diy dog's.Only ever used 60 min boils and have used pale and lager malts.

I'm currently half way down a sack of Muntons Extra Pale Propino and haven't had any issue with 60 minute boils.

I think DMS is only a problem with floor malted pilsner malt. I think even non-floor malted pilsner is OK with a 60 min boil (although I've never used pilsner malt, just lager malt cuz it's cheaper)

Cheers. That's very reassuring. I suppose there would have to be a lot more DMS present to make itself known in a porter than a lager anyway. I'm looking forward to this one.

Back