Induction Hobs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradbrews

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've recently decided to upgrade my cheapo 12L setup to 20l
I've preordered a 10 gallon SS brewtech kettle to use as biab, and to eventually buy a pump and make a malt pipe for it.
For now I'm just going to get an induction hob for it, I've seen a lot of info on the buffalo, but they're expensive, cheapest I can find is 150 quid.
There's this other brand Chef King, who make an identical looking unit for 99:

https://www.ecatering.co.uk/buy/che...-duty-commercial-induction-hob-bt350k_253.htm

Would this be any good at all? It says it has a max pan size of 28cm, which is too small, but does the buffalo say something similar?

Any advice is appreciated, cheers

Buffalo is the way to go, and its bleeding quick as well. having said that, there are a lot on eBay which don't work!! but worth a regular search. I got mine as did 2 others off a forum member here. I would recommend the Buffalo but only if you are going to keep it. I think with VAT they are about 150# which is a lot I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree the bufallo are superb. And you can fry a steak outside on it. Sometimes they pop up around £75 and worth every penny imho. Mine was a recon. The one in the link above looks like a clone. The buffalo will take a large pot, no problem with it overhanging.

Also check out maplins and IKEA, they do fantastic induction jobs for about £35-40
We use one in our caravan and outside to warm sauces when bbq'ing
Really powerful 2.4kw jobbies

Thanks guys, guess buffalo is the way to go just because it's tried and tested.
As I'm doing Biab I don't feel comfortable putting a 6kg pot with 5kg of grain and 30+kg of water on one of the small home style induction hobs

Just a quick update gents.
Managed to snag a new buffalo on eBay for 109 including delivery.
It's huge! But on the cooktop the two rings say minimum pan size 12cm, and maximum pan size 28cm, the same as the chef king one. So if anyone is looking at this thread because they can't find a cheap buffalo, I'd say give the chef king a try!

Just a quick update gents.
Managed to snag a new buffalo on eBay for 109 including delivery.
It's huge! But on the cooktop the two rings say minimum pan size 12cm, and maximum pan size 28cm, the same as the chef king one. So if anyone is looking at this thread because they can't find a cheap buffalo, I'd say give the chef king a try!

Did you buy a single or double? You can put a massive pot on them and it will still work. Mine sits over the readout and works fine.

I bought the single, I've no way of handling 7KW and I'm only using the one 40l kettle so I think the single hob will work just fine, just have to wait a week for my kettle now!

Latest posts

Back