King Keg Pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zak72

Reaction score
Hi
I’m having problems with my King Kegs loosing pressure. I’ve read a few threads and tried out the advice but nothing is working. I’ve recently returned to home brewing after 4 years due to having two children during that time. So the two King Kegs are both about 4 or 5 years old. One’s a bottom tap and the other a top tap. The top tap one has never had a brew in it and the bottom one had about 3 brews in it. The caps have pin valves fitted.
I’ve cleaned them and refitted the caps and taps, making sure they were all tight. I’ve vaselined the threads and used PTFE tape as well. Rather than ruining a brew I decided to put some water in them and then injected a CO2 cardtridge into each. The water came out at a good pressure from both. I left them 24 hours and the pressure was pretty much nil.

Ive tested for leaks using water and washing up liquid solution and could not see anything, though it was difficult to do this around the edge of the caps.

Am I missing something?

Is the only option to buy new caps? I’ve seen the Ballihoo 4” caps with pressure test points recommended but want to check for advice before spending on new caps. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I think in the water test the CO2 just dissolved into the water which is why there is no pressure

Right, didn't consider that. I might just get a beer kit and risk a brew.
Thanks for the response.

Sorry to disagree, but the keg should retain pressure with water in it. You have a slow leak, and they can be really hard to track down. I had one with mine and it took 18 months to finally pin it down.

Do you have a way of measuring pressure, so you can see the rate of decline? Also, how much pressure in there? The greater the pressure, the more likely you'll hear the leak. I'd recommend getting a Hambleton-Bard cylinder for CO2 rather than those little cartridges.

Have you applied soapy water to the entire surface of the PBs and caps theemselves, not just the joints? Sometimes the seams of the PBs leak, and one forumite recently reported a crack in the cap he was using which allowed CO2 to escape.
If you are not entirely confident your PBs are gas tight but don't want to risk a brew you could half fill with clean water, add 75g sugar, add yeast (any will do even bakers yeast), seal up and put in a warm place for few days. If gas tight your PB should pressure up just like it would have done when you prime a brew to carb it up.

Back