Cold crashed FV by mistake...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamster

Reaction score
So brewed a nice Citra based IPA on Monday and had some bottles cold conditioning in my Fermentation Fridge... Can you see where this is going ?

I set the temperature stat back to 19c for fermentation but forget to 'set' it so next morning I'd cold crashed my lovely wort and newly pitched S05. Wort is back up to temperature, 19c, and fermentation this morning looks to have started although not at S05 usual rate I think.

Question is as all the cold break and probably half the sleepy yeast has fallen to the bottom is it worth giving it a stir, giving it extra time to ferment or simply it's no problem ?

:oops:

If it's still very early on in fermentation, then it's probably fine. Saying that, as fermentation kicks off and the yeast start producing CO2, I always find that the trub gets picked up but the gas in the beer so it would probably be fine anyway.

Early on ? Can't get earlier lol :lol:

Good point on the CO2 churning things up. Think I'll give it 24/48 hours and see how it's doing before deciding to do anything else...

What I found out a few days back is actually the cold break proteins are used by the yeast during fermentation so think it's quite important it's suspended throughout the whole wort

Back