Well Whats the thoughts on the Scottish 50p per unit then?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Well am surprised its not been asked yet.
But they are expecting the rest of the UK to follow - does one think many more homebrewers joining the fold and maybe taxing us if that does happen?
Pete

Given that it'll make a 2 unit (6%) 330ml bottle a minimum of £1 or a 3 unit (9%) bottle a minimum of £1.50 it's not likely to do any serious damage to normal beer drinkers. It's going to screw you if you're a White Lightning drinker though!

I think the English Government will keep an eye on how it goes but I doubt there will be a rush to follow the Scottish Government as it's not a direct revenue raiser and at the moment they have there hands full with brexit and all the related legislation to do with that. There will undoubtedly be the law of unintended consequences in theory it sounds ok but in practice what's to stop people smuggling alcohol in from England, there is no hard border. Or opening big booze wharehouses just over the border.

I am against these sort of restrictions in general, but this is not realistically going to affect you if you're not a problem drinker or binge drinker. The minimum price is 50p per unit, or roughly £1 a pint. The last time I got a pint for a quid I was still at uni, and it was watered down Tuborg even then.

I am against these sort of restrictions in general, but this is not realistically going to affect you if you're not a problem drinker or binge drinker. The minimum price is 50p per unit, or roughly �£1 a pint. The last time I got a pint for a quid I was still at uni, and it was watered down Tuborg even then.

You're right it wont affect pubs but it's not aimed at them really it's aimed at people buying strong cider etc for consumption at home.

I wasnt even really talking about pubs. When was the last time you bought supermarket beer worth less than 50p a unit? I think the cheapest I've ever seen is 20 cans of Fosters for 14 quid... If that goes up to 20 quid it's not going to break the bank. And if you are drinking so much that an extra 6 quid per 20 cans has a serious detrimental effect on your wallet, then you're probably drinking too much.

But that 6 squid is a lot, both in percentage terms and also if you a fiscally responsible but poor and take advantage of such offers to enjoy the odd night in with your better half.

It's a **** idea brought in by holier than thou, authoritarian scum bag politicians who should be swinging from a rope.

But as I said in the other thread, I don't have strong opinions either way. 😀

They've hit a brick wall with money. Nine primary school heads locally are being replaced by one "super head" at the secondary school. It's a nanny state raising more tax on the sly. Next they'll put income tax up.

They've hit a brick wall with money. Nine primary school heads locally are being replaced by one "super head" at the secondary school. It's a nanny state raising more tax on the sly. Next they'll put income tax up.

All of the money goes to the retailer, none of it is tax. They want to make it more expensive for problem drinkers, not raise more tax funds.

And presumably the problem drinkers will act responsibly and reduce their alcohol intake rather than paying for their usual by depriving the household budget of even more limited funds. It won't affect the drinkers, it'll affect their kids.

Surely it will be a VATable amount, thus 20% will go to the state?

Fair point, didn't consider the VAT. But it's not like all of the extra cost of a bottle of White Lightning or Bucky is going in the government's pocket.

And yes, it'll probably affect problem drinkers' kids. I didn't say I thought this was a good idea!

But that's the point. They don't have the power to rase the rate of duty but they can do this and raise extra revenue by the back door. The fact they get to interfere and play nanny is just Bruce bonus points for these lot.

Latest posts

Back