Why won't my lager clear?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigelnorris

Beavis at Bat
Reaction score
I've made four or five BIAB lagers. Recipes have been extra pale maris otter plus 5 or 10 percent of some other grain. Hoppage has been mostly saaz at about 3g/L. Yeast has been s-23 every time. Hour long mash 65C-67C, hour and a half boil. Two weeks or thereabouts at 12C, a couple of days at 15C, then lagered at 1C to 3C for at least 4 weeks.

They all taste fabulous, really pleased, but they're all distinctly hazy. I'd hoped that 4-8 weeks of lagering would have made a dent in that but apparently not. Am I doing it wrong, or just expecting too much?

I've made four or five BIAB lagers. Recipes have been extra pale maris otter plus 5 or 10 percent of some other grain. Hoppage has been mostly saaz at about 3g/L. Yeast has been s-23 every time. Hour long mash 65C-67C, hour and a half boil. Two weeks or thereabouts at 12C, a couple of days at 15C, then lagered at 1C to 3C for at least 4 weeks.

They all taste fabulous, really pleased, but they're all distinctly hazy. I'd hoped that 4-8 weeks of lagering would have made a dent in that but apparently not. Am I doing it wrong, or just expecting too much?

I expect it may be to do with what is known as the "cold break" this helps to remove proteins that drop out of suspension when your lager is chilled to serve.

This is not on the basis of having done any actual lagering, I would add, just lager-type brews using US 05.

Do you add any gelatine ? I use this on my Kolsch and clears a dream.

No, I assumed that the lagering process would be enough. Finings and a change of yeast are two items on my list to try in future batches.

I expect it may be to do with what is known as the "cold break" this helps to remove proteins that drop out of suspension when your lager is chilled to serve.

This is not on the basis of having done any actual lagering, I would add, just lager-type brews using US 05.

Again, I'd thought that lagering was designed to precipitate the leftover proteins before bottling. I've just googled around cold break and I do all the stuff that other sites talk about, I use an immersion chiller that in this weather takes no time at all to lower to yeasting temps then straight into the fridge and 12C in no time at all.

No, I assumed that the lagering process would be enough. Finings and a change of yeast are two items on my list to try in future batches.

Again, I'd thought that lagering was designed to precipitate the leftover proteins before bottling. I've just googled around cold break and I do all the stuff that other sites talk about, I use an immersion chiller that in this weather takes no time at all to lower to yeasting temps then straight into the fridge and 12C in no time at all.

Yep, that sounds good to me, so I'm out of ideas - over to the lager lads (louts - LOL?)

I'm no expert....have you tried ALL lager/pilsner malt?
I've only attempted a pseudo lager with notty at around 14 °c and it was crystal clear. Do you bottle from fv or use a bottling bucket?

I'm no expert....have you tried ALL lager/pilsner malt?
I've only attempted a pseudo lager with notty at around 14 °c and it was crystal clear. Do you bottle from fv or use a bottling bucket?

No I've not tried all one malt, maybe next time. But I've been following published recipes, I'd have thought at least one would come out clean.

I've been bottling from the FV and priming bottle by bottle, but I'd thought about giving batch priming a go. Another idea for the list.

Latest posts

Back