Coopers Devils Half Ruby Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandy

Bandy Beerhole
Reaction score
I had a look round to see if anyone had reviewed this kit, but couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post my findings...

I brewed this kit back in July and have been enjoying the results for the last couple of months, I would say anyone who likes a dark ruby beer (That's all of us, right?) should have a bash at this. This was my method;

Coopers Devils Half Kit
1kg Super Malt Beer Enhancer
250g Muscavado Brown Sugar

Boiled about 40g of Fuggles in a hop bag with the malt for about 10 mins then chucked it all in the fermenter to 23 litres.

Used the Coopers yeast.

OG 1.043

On day 7 dry hopped with another bag of Fuggles (approx 30g) and let ferment for 15 days.

FG 1.003

That was the lowest FG I've had for a while and I haven't really been using the Coopers yeast in my recent brews. Just goes to show.

Left in cupboard for about 4 weeks, then transferred to beer fridge (8 degrees)

This beer, like all home brew, definitely benefits from time in the bottle. It was good after 5-6 weeks, but I have just drunk one after 5 months and it is a real beauty with a lovely colour and great head retention. It actually tastes a bit like Hobgoblin, but better, obviously!

I've put one of these on today.
*Kit can and yeast.
*650g Potters Liquid Malt (bought when on offer from H&B)
*400g Golden Syrup.
Brewed short to 20 litres
OG 1.042
I intend to dry hop with Challenger since it suits the style.
It will be going into a PB.
Will report back in due course.

I've put one of these on today.
*Kit can and yeast.
*650g Potters Liquid Malt (bought when on offer from H&B)
*400g Golden Syrup.
Brewed short to 20 litres
OG 1.042
I intend to dry hop with Challenger since it suits the style.
It will be going into a PB.
Will report back in due course.
Update.....
This took a while to get get going, then after about 5 days slowed up at about 1.023, and I wondered if it was heading for a stall, so, since this shares a Coopers yeast type with the Irish Stout, and I had one of these in my store, I did a starter with the Stout yeast and chucked that in, which perked it up again. Still chugging away very slowly at day 10 when I dry hopped with 30g Challenger. At day 15 I could finally say the fermentation had finished, which is about the longest I've had for Coopers kit apart from the Euro lager.
Packaged into a PB at FG 1.009 with 90g sugar today after 16 days. Lots of yeast left in the FV.
Taster was slightly malty with toffee, and not too hoppy which is what I wanted. Otherwise quite thin. Darkish colour and more brown than red, and was nearly clear and not like dark porters which are similar to stouts.
Not quite sure how this will turn out; more later.

Its now three weeks on since I put this in a PB.
It's clear and I'm drinking the occasional glass and it doesn't seem to be changing very much.
Will probably do it again.
For me better unchilled than chilled .
Heres a photo...

devils_half_ruby_porter.jpg

i did that kit with 1,7-kg dark LME without hopping. (sladovna bruntal) it turned out very good, very very malty but almost no hop bitterness. So if u use DMe or LME unhopped you may think add some bitterness hops.

I spoke to someone in the business and he suggested that Coopers re-branded their kits and this kit is the old Coopers Dark Ale. Anyone know this for sure?

I've made Coopers Dark and, whilst it was a very nice beer, I wouldn't consider it a Porter. And the photo above looks rather familiar, a dark brown rather than a black beer.

I spoke to someone in the business and he suggested that Coopers re-branded their kits and this kit is the old Coopers Dark Ale. Anyone know this for sure?

I've made Coopers Dark and, whilst it was a very nice beer, I wouldn't consider it a Porter. And the photo above looks rather familiar, a dark brown rather than a black beer.

That makes a lot of sense to me (as I drink said 'Porter').
It's nowhere near like the Coopers Stouts, more like a darker Coopers English Bitter which I did ages ago. I continue to brew the Stouts (have one on at present), wouldn't do the English Bitter again, but might do this 'Porter' again perhaps as a strong winter ale brewed short

Porter with honey and Mandarina Bavaria

8th january
  • Devil's Half Ruby Porter
  • 1.3 kg honey. No boiling.
  • 50 g Mandarina Bavaria boiled 5 minutes with 3 ml Magnesium Carbonate. Cooling for 15 minutes before draining.
  • Safale US-05.
  • 23 liters
21st january... I thought it was time for bottling but the taste was very bland and sour so I threw in;
  • 500 g Muntons Dried Malt Extract Medium
  • 300 g Honey dissolved in some water. Some more fermenting.
9th february...
  • Bottling with Muntons carbonation drops into 0,5 l bottles.
23rd february and on.
  • Beer tastes very good! Some sweetness and maltyness. The hop is mostly bitter. Not much of the honey to taste though. Could have been less carbonated.
---

I'm gonna do another one but change some things:
  • Devil's Half Ruby Porter
  • 0,5 kg Wheat Dried Malt Extract
  • 0,5 kg Muntons Dried Malt Extract. Dark? Medium? propably medium
  • 250 g lactose
  • 15 ml magnesium carbonate
  • 2 * Mangrove Jacks M15 Empire Ale
  • 15 liters

After the first fermentation calms down I'll add:
  • 1/2 tsp (2.2 grams) Wyeast Nutrient Beer Blend
    • 1,4 kg tasty Honey. No boiling.
  • 25 g Mandarina Bavaria + 25 g Lemon Drop into water 75 °C for 15 minutes.
  • 8 liters into fermenter.

After the second fermentation calms down I'll add:
  • 20 g oak chips in a bag.

When it's done:
  • 130 g honey for bottling.

Latest posts

Back