cerveza type recipe question..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Still debating the next brew. The brew fridge will be empty hopefully tomorrow. A possible candidate is based on the Greg Hughes cerveza recipe...3.80 kg pilsner malt (I got lager) 270 g carapils and 450 g flaked maize. Partial mash subbing some of the fermentables out with a Wilko cerveza kit...as it needs to be used.
Recipe suggests ferment at 12 with lager yeast...I have no lager yeast but have SO4, gervin,and CML real ale and American pale.
Could I brew it as a pale ale at higher temp say 18-20 and would I need to drop the amount of flaked maize?
Or any other suggestions please!
Or I do a cali common!

Cheers

Clint

Cut back the cara - the most famous cerveza is a cheap domestic wheat beer in it's homeland. About 50/50 wheat and pale malt, bitter to the high 20s and add a flavour hop of spicy/citrus nature about 25g/10 minutes and you'll probably be happy. Pride of Ringwood used to be great as the bittering hop, but apparently isn't being grown any more, so use something neutral.

Mild Ale yeasts such as S-04 at low temperatures (16-18) will be fine - the wheat overcomes a lot.

Cerveza is Mexican/Spanish for beer, and wheat grows much better than barley in such a climate. It's the cloying effect of the wheat that led Americans to add lime or lemon...

The girl I should have married sold Cerveza for 10c a bottle in a Cantina, 20c if you wanted it cold.

Bottled 4 days ago ..

20170718_132722.jpg

Back