Nettle Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa91

New Cider Brewer
Reaction score
I'm looking to try something while I am waiting for my strawberry cider kit to ferment and the apples to grow on the trees this year.

This is the link to the video and to the website, just wanted some feedback from anyone who has attempted nettle beer, I vaguely remember trying this many years ago in my Scouting days and everyone fell ill :doh: how we attempted to make it I do not know.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVi-sEI_U9s[/ame]

http://nettlebeer.com/

I do not have any Demi John, Only fermentation buckets and wine bottles (this states not to use them incase they pop) but i have used them when bottling cider with no issues.

I'm merely looking for any feedback on the recipe i am looking to follow or further recommendations to have a nice tasting beer.

Thanks

I was literally just about to ask about this aswell as nettle wine, So far from what I've read only the top few leaves are to be used and are to be boil for use as soon as you get home. I'm gonna go and grab some next weekend and have a go at it. Also I plan on using spray malt instead of sugar, I'll keep you posted. :thumb:

Just a little update to this and a few questions.

First batch turned out ok, drinkable but not as nice as expecting.

Currently have 2nd batch fermenting using another recipe online, it's been roughly about 1 week, I doubled the recipe as I'd like double the amount.

Yeast was added around 28 degrees.

SG after 7 days is the same as it was when it started 1030. Little activity but when pouring into test tube for hydrometer activity looked present.

Any advice?

Thanks

Just a little update to this and a few questions.

First batch turned out ok, drinkable but not as nice as expecting.

Currently have 2nd batch fermenting using another recipe online, it's been roughly about 1 week, I doubled the recipe as I'd like double the amount.

Yeast was added around 28 degrees.

SG after 7 days is the same as it was when it started 1030. Little activity but when pouring into test tube for hydrometer activity looked present.

Any advice?

Thanks

Twenty-eight degrees seems a bit high so just my usual ...

Leave it alone for at least two weeks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:​

... and if it hasn't taken off by then add another packet of yeast.

BTW I sincerely hope that Nettle Beer catches on! :thumb:

In this weather, with the council not cutting the verges as often as they should and me cycling in shorts, I'm hoping bunches of crazed beer brewers get out there and start cutting the nettles down! :whistle:

Update: Bottled the nettle beer today and it tastes rather pleasant. Abv based on the brewfriend calculation is at 2.6%. Not exceptional but still very nice to drink.

I used the Greatbritishchef recipe and as above added another sachet of yeast to kick fermentation off again and left it for another week.

Back