moving boiler..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Still mulling over a new system...been looking at three vessel now there's one bit I'm struggling with....
When the mash tun is sparged into the boiler is the boiler then lifted to the heat source with just the runnings in then topped up to boil volume?

Hi Cint,

Ideally you want the boiler wherever it needs to be to heat prior to running your wort into it. Moving 30 litres or more of hot wort in a large boiler is not recommended.

So if using gas you want your boiler on the ring before running wort from the mashtun into the boiler, if electric element you still want the boiler on a stable surface (where it will be switched on) prior to running wort into it for the boil.

Unless you want to get into pumping wort around - most look to use gravity to transfer to each stage, so lauter tun top, down to mashtun, then on down to boiler.

Not sure what size of kit you are considering ?

fwiw with my bigger kit i have been gravity draining into the kettle which sat on a crate 16" off the ground where i boil, pumping the post boil liquor through the cfc into the fv..

when the kettle is drained the pump is off, and i disconnect and lift the chiller n transfer tube to gravity drain the wort captured in the post pump chiller n tube ;)

Even tho 33l is lumpable, I would not suggest its a good idea to lump a kettle full of 60c+ liquor. If gravity draining requires too much height, consider draining the tun into buckets for an exchange n pour into the kettle in 5-10l batches if you dont like the expense and complication of pumps and plumbing

If you have deep pockets,or have a lucky ebay punt, a scissor lift table with a hydrolic ram is a sweet solution ;)

It got me thinking..especially as loads of people put up pictures of sparging in their kitchen through a cool box tun on a small stand in front of the stove. ..having to lift that back to the heat,boil off; then move to get the wort chiller into it...usually by the sink..

It got me thinking..especially as loads of people put up pictures of sparging in their kitchen through a cool box tun on a small stand in front of the stove. ..having to lift that back to the heat,boil off; then move to get the wort chiller into it...usually by the sink..

Hi Clint,I've been messing around bit like yourself and two weeks past I had a mate over so had a triple brewday using two totally different systems.

1st was using the Burco for strike water to mashtun (coolbox) and transferring back to Burco for boil draining from mashtun to a fermenter about 10 litres at a time.

2nd was using a fermenter as a mashtun and again transferring to the gas hob where I have a 32 litre pot.

I have bought two Anself usb powered pumps which I intend to set up a two vessel system with just the Burco and the coolbox so as to recirculate and boil.I have tested and it works but was only a temporary setup,though this is what I'm aiming for.There is so much adversity out there and it's using your imagine v how deep your pockets are and mine are not that deep.
So keep looking and you'll find something to suit your needs.

The thing is I could get a grainfather and have done with it but it IS a lot of money to spend....and I can't justify it at the moment. .

I have a Grainfather and all I can say is it is so worth it, I max mine out and frequently (50 batches in 9 months) produce 30liters of wort in the fv at somewhere between 1,050 and 1,060. Around 80% Brew House efeciency, it just works great, no messing around with bags or hop spiders etc. some brews have as much 150g pellets and with a good whirlpool and hopstand it all stays behind. Going to get another one to increase production/decrease brew time!

Well I think I'm decided. ...GF if is,with sparge heater and a big shiny paddle. I've got the funds but plan to sell on some other stuff I have lying round to offset the bill....which makes perfect sense! I'll see if my budget can include a grain mill too....
Sell,sell,sell...

Everyone who has one thinks it's great Clint, enjoy once it arrives, always exciting ordering new kit

Latest posts

Back