No Pressure In Pressure Barrel!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks0494

Reaction score
Hello, my pressure barrel doesn't seem to be holding pressure. Hoping someone could share some advice. Details below...

I'm new to this. Did the obvious thing and started with Woodfordes Wherry 40 pints. Left in initial fermentation for about 2 weeks and moved over to a pressure barrel last saturday (July 15).

Yesterday (20th) I decided to pour out some beer to test if the pressure was working. It kind of dribbled out then made that sucking up noise, video link below. I took the lid off to check but there was no sound of air escaping, so I re-applied vaseline and screwed it back again.

Somehow pressure must be escaping. I've use plumbers tape and vaseline for the tap, there also hasn't been any leaks from the tap so that must be fine. The lid had been hand tightened.

Barrel - http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-pressure-barrel-5-gallon/invt/0441260

Tapping video - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_uzgHDKJFw&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello, my pressure barrel doesn't seem to be holding pressure. Hoping someone could share some advice. Details below...

I'm new to this. Did the obvious thing and started with Woodfordes Wherry 40 pints. Left in initial fermentation for about 2 weeks and moved over to a pressure barrel last saturday (July 15).

Yesterday (20th) I decided to pour out some beer to test if the pressure was working. It kind of dribbled out then made that sucking up noise, video link below. I took the lid off to check but there was no sound of air escaping, so I re-applied vaseline and screwed it back again.

Somehow pressure must be escaping. I've use plumbers tape and vaseline for the tap, there also hasn't been any leaks from the tap so that must be fine. The lid had been hand tightened.

Barrel - http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-pressure-barrel-5-gallon/invt/0441260

Tapping video - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_uzgHDKJFw&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Any advice would be much appreciated![/QUOTE
How much sugar did you charge the barell with? A sure case of the tap sucking up O2 to. Displace the beer and eventually taint it if not sorted

I mixed 80 grams of sugar with boiling water, left the cool, then added with the FV to PB transfer

That's the new wilko 4 inch neck barell,I have no experience of those but on the 4 inch KKs the top flat surface of the neck sometimes have high spots that doesn't allow the cap to fully seat and need lightly sanding,whether there's similar problems with the wilko product I have no idea but if the problem persists its worth inspecting it while your faffing with it

Thanks for your suggestions! I believe the Wilko PBs come with an s30 valve. Sanding the top sounds interesting, I might give that a try.

If I've re-applied the lid yesterday, how long shall I wait before giving it another test?

Have you put any vaseline on the inside of the cap?,worth a try:thumb:
oops sorry, i see you did!

Try this
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel
The most likely source of gas leaks on a standard PB are, in order
- the cap to PB seal; use vaseline on the o ring seal and only tighten cap one quarter turn or the cap will distort
- any injection devices and their gaskets
- a hole or split in the barrel usually on the seams
With liquid in the PB a leak on the tap is obvious.
If you try a soapy water solution on a pressurised barrel you will normally find your leak.

Thanks for your suggestions! I believe the Wilko PBs come with an s30 valve. Sanding the top sounds interesting, I might give that a try.

If I've re-applied the lid yesterday, how long shall I wait before giving it another test?
There is a guide on sanding the high spots on here which I uploaded as I had to do it to two kks to fix then but only resort to it when all other options have been exhausted

Get some CO2 to gas it up via the valve, if you wait for it to re-prime you could be waiting forever if there's a leak somewhere. Give it a couple of good 1sec shots of CO2 then listen for a leak: if you can't hear it, try soapy suds as suggested above. I'd guess it was an over or under-tightened lid.

Latest posts

Back