The down the sink thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in March I brewed an Ultimate Octoberfest special. New to me at the time was the Brewers Friend priming calculator so I decided to give it a go. About 250g of ordinary sugar was indicated. Seemed rather high but I decided to go with it. After all, I do like a few bubbles rising up my glass.

The end result is an explosive concoction with more fizz than a shaken bottle of champagne. Numerous bottles are still sitting in my garage until I decide what to do with it. Haven't the heart to chuck it although that would be the sensible thing to do. Sad thing is that it doesn't taste bad. :hmm:

Get a FV and marigold gloves, open each bottle down near the bottom of the FV and shield your eyes. After the mayhem, just re-bottle the de-fizzed out liquid and all will be well.

I have a wheat beer still sitting in a keg, it was quite sour at the start. Last time I checked it was improving so lets say the jury is out on this one atm :D

OK the jury is in and it went down the drain, to sour for me.

:mrgreen:

Get a FV and marigold gloves, open each bottle down near the bottom of the FV and shield your eyes. After the mayhem, just re-bottle the de-fizzed out liquid and all will be well.
Thanks for the great suggestion! Sounds like a plan. :thumb:
I have tried the usual things, like opening the cap slightly and leaving for a while, but I never thought to rebottle it. Maybe all is not lost after all.
Will I need to do any re-priming, or will it regain some fizz with re-conditioning?

Thanks for the great suggestion! Sounds like a plan. :thumb:
I have tried the usual things, like opening the cap slightly and leaving for a while, but I never thought to rebottle it. Maybe all is not lost after all.

Rebottling works because beer is sufficiently acidic and alcoholic to be robust to bacterial infection.

Ok.Thanks. Any re-priming necessary?

Hard to guess on this one. The Xmas beer 2016 I re=bottled, I did not re-prime, but perhaps I should have. Minimum quantity only, though for the priming sugar.

The second was a small batch of belgian dubbel which I fermented with cultured yeast. It got a wild yeast infection which I thought might turn out ok with a bit of aging. It didn't, after two years it was even worse so I chucked it just last month.

This makes me nervous as my next batch is a dubbel with cultured dregs of Chimay. Did you suspect anything amiss beforehand? I can't detect any unusual aromas in the starter and I tasted what I decanted off after the last step and it tasted fine, but I don't know if this is any guarantee!

I've never junked a batch. I've had bottles that got infected so got poured away but touch wood I've not had a FV go bad yet.

Hard to guess on this one. The Xmas beer 2016 I re=bottled, I did not re-prime, but perhaps I should have. Minimum quantity only, though for the priming sugar.
Many thanks, #Slid.
Clearly I want to avoid going from one extreme - over carbonated bottles - to the opposite extreme - flat beer. Presumably the sugar will be used up by residual yeast so I won't end up with a sweet flavoured result. What about 85g ordinary sugar?

This makes me nervous as my next batch is a dubbel with cultured dregs of Chimay. Did you suspect anything amiss beforehand? I can't detect any unusual aromas in the starter and I tasted what I decanted off after the last step and it tasted fine, but I don't know if this is any guarantee!

Don't worry, with a little care and attention it's easy enough to do, however I was very careless with the culturing (it was my first time and I was quite new to brewing) and I knew there was a possibility I'd ballsed it up which is why I only did a 5L batch. Out of curiosity, which Chimay did you culture from?

The smoked beers i made took some beating. I would love to see any of you lot drink a bottle. Still find it hard to believe its a style of beer. I should of kept some.

I have a ProQ Hot Smoker and a homemade Cold Smoker (an old Cassis syrup tin and an aquarium pump) so how do you make "Smoked Beers"?

I love a smoky flavour when I cook stuff so "Smoked Beer Recipe" please! :thumb:

I have a ProQ Hot Smoker and a homemade Cold Smoker (an old Cassis syrup tin and an aquarium pump) so how do you make "Smoked Beers"?

I love a smoky flavour when I cook stuff so "Smoked Beer Recipe" please! :thumb:

Fear not the answer is in my case to throw Rauchmalz into every beer you do. ! 10 to 50% garanteed to make it undrinkable. Grotz would of sold it though!

Don't worry, with a little care and attention it's easy enough to do, however I was very careless with the culturing (it was my first time and I was quite new to brewing) and I knew there was a possibility I'd ballsed it up which is why I only did a 5L batch. Out of curiosity, which Chimay did you culture from?

Blue. I'd have preferred the Red as the alcohol content is lower, but I couldn't get it. It seems to be going ok and like you I'm going to start with a small batch in case it goes wrong, that'll just make it frustrating if it's good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was so close to chucking out 20+ bottles of Weizenbock. Weird and undrinkable. However I didn't get the chance and forgot about them for a month or so.

I tried one last week and it was actually quite decent. Not my best though

I was so close to chucking out 20+ bottles of Weizenbock. Weird and undrinkable. However I didn't get the chance and forgot about them for a month or so.

I tried one last week and it was actually quite decent. Not my best though

I did similar with an IPA I made a couple of months back. Kept it, and every two weeks I try a bottle. It’s getting better !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last beer I made was an NEIPA, it was my first time kegging. I filled a full keg and planned to bottle the remaining few litres, but didn't have any sanitised bottles to hand so left it on the yeast a couple of days. When I came back it smelt like vinegar so I chucked it (probably 2 litres or so). I am slightly living in fear that the keg is going to turn bad on me, but it tastes good so far and it's been a few weeks.

This Thread is demonstrating two critical elements of Home Brewing:

1. Time can turn the "undrinkable" into "drinkable" and the "drinkable" into "palatable". :thumb:

2. When we're thirsty, it's amazing what we will at least try to drink! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or in my case;
3. If you think it tastes bad now you bloody well wait a month and its garanteed to be even worse! :mrgreen:

I was bored and tetchy last brewday, so I chucked 300g flaked barley in the oven and forgot about it til it was almost on fire - ye it was 'smoky' alright but it still got chucked in the mash. I dare do owt, me. Not tried it yet but if it's dreadful I'll make the kid sup it as punishment for summat he hasn't done yet.

Back