Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried mine yesterday - really really good! I made mine with 1kg BKE (beer kit enhancer) and 1 tin of Tate & Lyle treacle. Absolutely fantastic. Only been in the bottle for 2 weeks (2 weeks in the FV, primed with brown sugar) but oh so good!

I'm not a big stout drinker but it definitely tastes as good as Guinness or Murphys to me.

Got mine into the fv with the enhancer this morning. Really looking forward to my first pint of this after all the great reviews ive read. :drink:

Hi guys , a bit worried "again". Started the brew at noon, 5 hours later nothing happening!! From what ive read on here its a furious formentor, Should i be worried ?

this thread has inspired me do do a coopers aswell! will buy from natures way, ballhack.<Hi bottler :D >

mifune said:
this thread has inspired me do do a coopers aswell! will buy from natures way, ballhack.<Hi bottler :D >

might do 2 coopers tins and 1.5kg dme brewed to 25ltrs as an experiment for my third brew ever
looking for 8% or more. going to store for 6 months if needed.
<unless this is a stupid idea, let me know, still very new to brewing>

volcanic eruption? have to take precautions!

i was thinking of the russian imperial stout recipe instead but dont have a big enough bucket.
unless i buy a 33ltr carboy which i do want for brewing beer as its nice clean glass.even then might be to small tho!

any suggestions welcome!! :cheers:
Welcome mate, just discovered natures way at ballyhack myself, happy brewing :cheers:

I shouldn't worry bottler, its taken from friday night till this morning for mine to go nuts but it is all over the lid now :shock:
I am just hoping that the thing won't go pop :pray:

dirty squid said:
I shouldn't worry bottler, its taken from friday night till this morning for mine to go nuts but it is all over the lid now :shock:
I am just hoping that the thing won't go pop :pray:
Cheers mate, thanks for that. :thumb:

Well 2 days in and my stout is the most vicious fermenter i have ever seen, it looks like 4 monkeys brains are growing on the top of it.

Was about 1cm below the airlock last night and fortunately this morning it has started to subside, phew.

Smells nice though :party:

Got up for work this morning and checked mine. Wow going like a steam train. And yes, it smells nice :cheers:

:lol: funny how they just go nuts, probably the most crazy kit i have ever had.
I can't wait to get stuck into my first pint :drink: what should i prime the keg with? I was thinking a tin of treacle.

dirty squid said:
:lol: funny how they just go nuts, probably the most crazy kit i have ever had.
I can't wait to get stuck into my first pint :drink: what should i prime the keg with? I was thinking a tin of treacle.

I am gonna try a 125g tin of good quality dark cocoa chocolate powder and 1x 25g stick of pure liquorice then carbonate with carb drops to keep the sugar content right..The liquorice is supposed to keep the head retention good while adding a little flavour and the choc adds a pleasent choc aftertast.I dont want to over power the stout to much and spoit it....experiment though and find what works best for your own tastes.

Just tasted my trial jar of this after 6 days in the FV - gravity at 1.010 and it tastes absolutely chuffing amazing - like guinness original but with more body - cant wait to get it bottled and conditioned all ready for the christmas table :cheers: :party: :cheers:

I would definately recommend the extra dark DME and tin of treacle for this kit.

I have bought mine inside ready for tomorrow when i will move it over to the keg, i had 1008 and like yours it tasted great :drink:
Makes you wonder how the aussies can produce such a good beer kit but at the same time produce such **** commercial beer.

I started a Coopers Stout, with 500g of molasses, a pound of Tate & Lyle Black Treacle, about 200g of 'Brewing Sugar' and a couple of espressos thrown in, on Oct 25th.

Got the monkey brain froth after a few days then left in the FV for 3 weeks. Put it all in a 40pt pressure barrel (I normally bottle half my beers but had no bottles) with about 150g of granulated sugar.

I tried it after a week and it was tasting quite sweet and undercooked, but had 3 pints last night (two weeks priming) and it is great. Not as bitter as Guinness Original (my favourite stout), tastes more like a small brewery porter, the head on it is huge!

Took a sg reading 1010 and my first taste of this brew, well chuffed :cheers: Will bottle on tuesday probebly that'll be 10 days in fv. This will be getting hammered at christmas, though i should wait longer. :thumb:

Caned another three pints of mine tonight, it's so bloody lush.

Latest posts

Back